How do I reset a group back to default settings?

General NewsBin and Usenet related discussions. Make recommendations for additional specific discussion groups.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

How do I reset a group back to default settings?

Postby crosgrove » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:02 am

I have a group that is giving me living hell. I've had grief with it in the past, and played with the settings. Today when I logged in, it reported no new headers for the last 2 weeks, and this is a group with about 50-10 headers per day.

I've tried a whole slow of download special and show special and other settings, but it is now not showing ANY headers for that group. I've actually deleted the group and re-added it a few times, and every time it reports zero headers to display.

I think the best course of action is to reset that group to the default settings that exists for all new groups added, and go form there.

Is that possible?

Thanks
crosgrove
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/11/07

Re: How do I reset a group back to default settings?

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:54 am

Deleting the group deletes any stored headers. I'd set the "Download Age" to 50. Right click the group "Post Storage/Use Download Age" then download headers normally. It should pull 50 days worth.

50-100 headers ain't many headers.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby crosgrove » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:54 pm

Worked!

Also, I misspoke--the number of individual posts (headers) is usually approaching the thousands per day. The number of complete assembled files is usually at least 50 on slow days.

I don't know WHAT I had screwed up, but there were no posts for the past 2 weeks showing, and they re all showing now.
crosgrove
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/11/07

Postby Quade » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:41 am

Could have been a corrupt "Range.db3". If you do that trick, "Post Storage/Use Download Age" it won't delete any headers but will delete the tracking file.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to General Discussion