Search and download issues

General NewsBin and Usenet related discussions. Make recommendations for additional specific discussion groups.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Search and download issues

Postby GazBags912 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:14 pm

I cancelled my search in groups and download subscription some time ago because I'd become frustrated by search results that were dead...

I decided to re-enable it and try again and it appears nothing much has changed. I perform a search, come up with a set of results and try to download something from the results and virtually everything throws back a '430: no such article'

I get that content changes and that there is a huge amount of data to catalogue for searching, but just what is the point of a search returning results for files that aren't actually out there?

I guess I've probably wasted another year's money for the search in groups facility (again!)
GazBags912
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/09/04

Re: Search and download issues

Postby Quade » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:23 am

430 errors are from your news server. We catalogs posts as they were made. We don't go back and re-check after the fact. I mean what's missing depends on your news server. One server might have it and one might not.

430 means either your server deleted the files because they were asked by the "owners" or that the files are older than what your news server maintains.

Not every news server goes back in time as far as the search engine does too. The only one that I know of that's close is Usenetserver.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to General Discussion