Speed Limiter Properties Rate Increase

Make suggestions for new features.

Moderator: Quade

Speed Limiter Properties Rate Increase

Postby sdabrams3 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:04 pm

Administrators,

Also have a gigabit connection please allow this setting to reach 900 Mbps.

Would like to set this to 900Mbps and leave 100mpbs for streaming movies and TV.

These speeds are becoming more common every day.

200 Mbps is really slow by today's standards.

Thank you
Scott A
sdabrams3
n00b
n00b

Re: Speed Limiter Properties Rate Increase

Postby Quade » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:52 pm

I'll have to figure out how. 900 Mbps is so fast that no mechanism for pausing to slow the download, except spinning a thread, could possibly be accurate enough.

I have to say many people want to throttle speed but run a bunch of connections. The most natural way to allow both streaming and Newsbin to operate at the same time is to reduce the connection count in Newsbin.

Throttling many connections is like driving with one foot on the brake and one on the gas.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby sdabrams3 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:22 pm

Quade wrote:I'll have to figure out how. 900 Mbps is so fast that no mechanism for pausing to slow the download, except spinning a thread, could possibly be accurate enough.

I have to say many people want to throttle speed but run a bunch of connections. The most natural way to allow both streaming and Newsbin to operate at the same time is to reduce the connection count in Newsbin.

Throttling many connections is like driving with one foot on the brake and one on the gas.

Understand will consider dropping down to 50 threads instead of 60 which caps me out at 1GB to see if that helps.

Thanks
Scott
sdabrams3
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:48 am

I'm thinking more like 10-15. I get 500+ with 6 connections.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mkrubsack » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:45 am

sdabrams3 wrote:Administrators,

Also have a gigabit connection please allow this setting to reach 900 Mbps.

Would like to set this to 900Mbps and leave 100mpbs for streaming movies and TV.

These speeds are becoming more common every day.

200 Mbps is really slow by today's standards.

Thank you
Scott A

I also would like to see this changed. Perhaps, a slider from 100% down, kind of like how SABnzbd does it.
mkrubsack
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/25/12

Postby BartNL » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:53 pm

Quade wrote:I'll have to figure out how. 900 Mbps is so fast that no mechanism for pausing to slow the download, except spinning a thread, could possibly be accurate enough.

well it seems like a possible answer. Why not reduce the number of connections per server automatically e.g. if i set the number off connections to 20 / 35 / 15 for three servers then implement a slider to reduce the connections to a percentage of that. This would not be an accurate speed limiter but would probably work for me i.e. i would play with it a bit. If 50% would not reduce speed I could try 20% or even 10%?

Edit: just tried lowering the connections manually and seems likely to freeze Newsbin but restarted it operate around 900mbps with two servers set at 7 connections (before at 35 and 50 connections would do 1000mbps)
Thanks for suggesting this (seems logical now I am using it)!
BartNL
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/27/03

Return to Feature Requests