Am I doing it wrong?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Am I doing it wrong?

Postby spamsilly » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:25 am

I think ever since the 2nd week of starting with Newsbin I gave it its own drive.

Over the years I found that a little on the slow side since I kept all my headers locally - So i gave Newsbin its own ssd (yay upgrade!)

Before that, I found that downloading and especially repairing on spinners was quite time consuming. So to avoid burning out an ssd I set up a variable ramdisk (about 50ish GB to work with depending on what's happening) to host my "main download folder" and "download folder for nzbfiles" for temp storage and repair, and then finally setting the UnRAR folder to a spinner.

This setup has worked quite well for me over the years. Just wondering what other users may have to offer as far as better suggestions or potential problems (barring a system crash or power failure) with a config like this.

Thanks!
spamsilly
n00b
n00b

Re: Am I doing it wrong?

Postby Quade » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:37 pm

My data folder is on on SSD, that's where the headers are. The files go to a different SSD. It's been probably 5 years on this SSD and it's still crunching away.

What's your download speed? I could imagine needing your setup if the download speed was really high.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support