Question on Deleting Posts

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Question on Deleting Posts

Postby RangerXus » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:10 pm

Quade, I can't search (see my Newbie Forum post) so I'll just ask you directly.

Need to deal with spam posts on Usenet. Four questions related to deleting posts. (Using v6.82)

Dirty Rotten Spammers:
If I enter the poster's ID here then downloads are examined in the Import folder text files and if a match the entry is not put in database, right?
Also can I use partial names or use wildcards in the names? Such as *@spammer.com or regex format?

Delete select posts from entries in an opened tab (posts previously downloaded).
If I select one or more posts in a tab and do Delete Posts then the entries will be deleted from the database for every Usenet group it was posted in that I've downloaded, right?
Or will the entries only be deleted from the databases of the group(s) that are loaded in that tab.

Delete all posts from poster: (Posts previously downloaded)
If I select one or more posts in a tab then do Delete all posts From Poster then the entries will be deleted from the database for every Usenet group it was posted in that I've downloaded, right?
Or will the entries only be deleted from the databases of the group(s) that are loaded in that tab.

What does lockout poster do?
Is this related to the Dirty Rotten Spammers in some way?

Thanks
RangerXus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/07/09

Re: Question on Deleting Posts

Postby Quade » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:04 pm

1 - Lockout posters is simply a display filter. It won't show the posts of people in the spammer list if the filters are enabled "Dirty Rotten..." is the list of people who you added to the spammer list.
Lockout poster is almost useless these days because the spammer are using random poster fields.

2 - "Delete all Posts by Poster" deletes the posts from the currently open groups in the tab that you did the delete from. For example, I commonly load 20 groups into a single listing when I display a topic, so the poster would be deleted from all 20 groups.

3 - There is a mechanism to prevent posts from going into the database when importing.

If you right click a group or topic and select "Properties" you can see an option called "Header Filter". If you set a filter there. That filter is applied to all imported headers. So you can filter in or out posts and/or subjects.

I'd suggest setting up a filter profile then testing it on your groups by applying it to the post list before making it the "Header Filter" because filtering out imports makes the posts go away forever. I mean forever or re-downloading headers.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Question on Deleting Posts

Postby RangerXus » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:31 pm

Quade, thanks for the explanations.
I was using Dirty Rotten Spammers thinking it was preventing the headers that matched from being loaded into the database.
I see now it was only hiding them from view.
I have created a filter and put it in the group's properties 'download filter' and the headers that match are not being loaded into the database now.
I've used Newbin Pro for many years and am still learning new things about it.
Thanks
RangerXus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/07/09

Return to V6 Technical Support