Error talking to GetDomain in initial connection

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Error talking to GetDomain in initial connection

Postby frank479 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:13 pm

I get the error in the subject for every single server I have configured when I first attempt to download a file/msg. It does download the file and has never hindered me but I've always wondered why it's a normal part of my initial communication with a server. Even after downloading a file, if I go back to get another one, say, 30 min later, i get this same set of errors again for every server.
frank479
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/05/06

Re: Error talking to GetDomain in initial connection

Postby Quade » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:15 am

The server address you type into Newsbin has to be converted to an actual address each time the connection is made. This process is "getdomain". The error is telling you the conversion is failing.

How many connects do you have configured in Newsbin. Might try setting it to 6-8. Then restart Newsbin and try again.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby frank479 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:25 am

Quade wrote:The server address you type into Newsbin has to be converted to an actual address each time the connection is made. This process is "getdomain". The error is telling you the conversion is failing.

How many connects do you have configured in Newsbin. Might try setting it to 6-8. Then restart Newsbin and try again.

Well, I have 5 servers and each one's connection is maxed out to whatever the account offers. So, for instance, Cheapnews is set to 24, Newshosting 100, etc. Are you saying I should drop those numbers down to just 6-8?

Alternatively, instead of putting in the URL name, should I just put in the actual address in digits so it doesn't have to do the conversion?
frank479
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:23 am

Well, I have 5 servers and each one's connection is maxed out to whatever the account offers.

Yeah, it's kinda pointless to run this many connections for usenet. Torrents benefit from many connections because they're all typically slow. Usenet though, all the connections should be running as fast as they can.

Maybe try 8-10 connections per server and see what your download speed looks like. You want to run just enough connections to max out your download speed. It's pointless to use more connections than that. I use a single server Usenetserver and easily get 900 Mbps with 14 connections. I don't actually need that many but I use it for testing. I'd say your issue with getdomain is probably because there's a massive flood of connections when it's time to connect to the server.

Maybe I need to build a cache for getdomain.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby frank479 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:43 am

Yeah, I see what you mean. When I dropped to six, the problem disappeared but my speed was slow. So, I played with the settings and found a nice sweet spot for each server where I don't get the errors and I get max speed from that server. I guess you don't really need 100 connections because 25 can get you max and anything more than that, I guess, just goes to waste. Thanks for all your help!
frank479
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:30 pm

Great.

Yeah more connections just consumes ram and CPU but doesn't help .
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support