Resume download taking too long

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Resume download taking too long

Postby tacomaguy20 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:48 am

I'm not sure if this is a tech issue or not but I was downloading a 40 gig file and about 30 gigs in I had to exit the program. When I resumed the program (and it resumed the download) it started by showing me 0 gigs out of 40 gigs downloaded and then it proceeded to (I'm assuming) scan my hard drive for the previous parts of the download. Well the data slowly increased back to 30 gigs (where I left off) and then it actually resumed the downloading. The problem is, it took just as long, if not longer, to scan my drive for the previously downloaded files than when I downloaded the original 30 gigs. Is that normal or is something wrong? I don't think it should take longer to resume the download than if I started the download completely over. By the way I have a 1 gig connection if that helps. Newsbin pro Version 6.90 5524
tacomaguy20
Active Participant
Active Participant

Re: Resume download taking too long

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:39 pm

What kind of drive are the files on?

What kind of security software are you running?

Is it one large 30 gig file or a number of RAR/7z files?

For rars and 7z, the download just checks the first chunk of each file, then hands the file off to the PAR checker. It's the PAR checker that scans the whole file for data blocks. Download should resume pretty quickly while the PAR checker has to scan all 30 gigs that were previously downloaded.

It's different if it's one large file with 30,000 chunks. In that case each chunk on disk is checked to make sure it exists.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby tacomaguy20 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:08 am

To answer your original question, it's one large 7z file with separate par2 files but I think I determined the issue. My data folder was on a different drive than my download folder. I changed the download folder after I purchased a new hard drive and failed to change the data folder to the same drive. I just moved the location of the data folder to the same drive and it seems to have helped speed it up. Do you think that would have cause the slowness or was it just coincidence that I changed it when I did?
tacomaguy20
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:37 pm

If the old drive was a spinner and the new, an SSD, I'd expect a large speedup.

Slow drive is what I was leaning towards from your report.

One large file with a bunch of posts is really the worst to resume.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support