Add a column for UnRaR Path to 'Downloading Files' tab

Make suggestions for new features.

Moderator: Quade

Add a column for UnRaR Path to 'Downloading Files' tab

Postby ack9 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:41 pm

Would be very helpful to see what the target unrar path is when you have or have not changed it manually.
ack9
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/11/04

Re: Add a column for UnRaR Path to 'Downloading Files' tab

Postby Quade » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:41 am

The unrar path and the download path are the same by default I believe. I'm not keen on the idea of adding another column, on the other hand the download path IS less important than the unRAR path so, maybe I should show it in cases where it's different than the download path?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ack9 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:00 pm

As you rightly recognize, the unrar path becomes more important than the download path when the unrar path is different. I don't care if unrar path is another column or reused in one column, but it's really important to know. Right now I have to keep redoing the unrar path *just to make sure* that I did it previously for *select* downloads. I do this because of pre-grouping I am doing in advance of the download, so that I don't have to do the sorting *after* the download. And then the download folder is effectively the fallout. I don't like setting the download folder as the target of the pre-grouping because then it just clutters the folder with download files as it runs. I like the unrar paths to be clean.
ack9
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby ack9 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:09 pm

I realize now that the "Files List" tab is using the behavior you mention of changing the 'Download Path' to the UnRaR path..

Misleading when it is done in the Downloading Files or Failed Files tabs, but I can live with it if you made the change.
ack9
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby ack9 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:19 pm

One example of download folder being different from the unrar path is when you use an NZB.

The NZB Download Folder I set to, for example, C:\NZBs\$(NZBFILE)\
This way when there are, god forbid, a problem dealing with the par files (which has happened on 6.82 for example), I have a clean single folder to go to in order to repair the download. But then I also do the pre-organzing with the unrar path for those that download without issue, instead of them all being thrown into the main download folder.
ack9
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:57 pm

Misleading when it is done in the Downloading Files or Failed Files tabs, but I can live with it if you made the change.

"Files list" always shows where the files end up. Post unrar, some files end up in the Unrar path. During download, the source files end up in the download path.

So, I'm saying I don't think you're seeing what you think you're seeing. Things in the files list only have one path, the path the files landed in.

The download list though has two paths potentially, the path the files download to and the path the files unrar to.

Many people download and unrar to the same path. In this case, they might use "$(NZBFILE)" in the download path and not bother with an unrar path. Using an unrar path is for people who might want to download to an internal drive and unrar to a NAS or other different drive. I use an unrar path simply so I can test it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ack9 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:39 am

Quade wrote:"Files list" always shows where the files end up. Post unrar, some files end up in the Unrar path. During download, the source files end up in the download path.

So, I'm saying I don't think you're seeing what you think you're seeing. Things in the files list only have one path, the path the files landed in.

I agree. Files List isn't an issue. I'm just talking about pre-download.

Quade wrote:Using an unrar path is for people who might want to download to an internal drive and unrar to a NAS or other different drive. I use an unrar path simply so I can test it.

I use it in the same way you mention, downloading to local and unraring to NAS, hence why I want to see the unrar path values ahead of time for organizing.
ack9
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to Feature Requests