Best setup for Newsbin Reader.

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Best setup for Newsbin Reader.

Postby netster » Fri May 01, 2020 4:38 pm

Hi I have been using Newsbin for an number of years, but I am still firmly an Newbie as I just use either

a) having clicked on an .nzb file OR b) newsbin file search.

So, I think it is finally time that I got organised! Especially as a I have a gigabit internet connection, would be silly not to get the best out it.

Could anyone help me with some clear tips for a good base setup to address the following:

1.) Filter downloads into different directories depending on content category (e.g movies to movies dir, tv shows to another folder) etc etc.
2.) Can Newsbin be run as a service on PC startup? Useful to monitor watch folders without starting the UI?
3.) Some sort of auto get/ internet scraper function? I have heard that other downloaders (like the one on some nas drives) can use RSS to check when content becomes available and automatically download them into sorted categories etc.

Any other useful tips to finally get myself sorted would be greatly appreciated.
netster
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/05/11

Re: Best setup for Newsbin Reader.

Postby Quade » Fri May 01, 2020 10:23 pm

1.) Filter downloads into different directories depending on content category (e.g movies to movies dir, tv shows to another folder) etc etc.

There's a couple different ways to do this. In particular if you're using NZB files you can make multiple NZB Autoload folders and the autoload options allow you to spec different download and unrar folders for each autoload folder.

Newsbin can't currently run as a service. It's been on my mind for awhile and I'm moving in that direction but the issue is how many people would actually use it. It will add complexity too.

3.) Some sort of auto get/ internet scraper function? I have heard that other downloaders (like the one on some nas drives) can use RSS to check when content becomes available and automatically download them into sorted categories etc.

Newsbin supports Sonarr and Radarr and some other scrappers. They both scrap and organize the final folders for the downloads. In this case Newsbin is just used to download.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum