Will there ever be a Chrome OS version of NBP64

General NewsBin and Usenet related discussions. Make recommendations for additional specific discussion groups.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Will there ever be a Chrome OS version of NBP64

Postby eclapwannabe » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:11 pm

I love NBP64. It is head and tails above any Usenet client program that I have every used.
However the price for Windows based computer with a half-way decent main processor i.e. Core I-3 minimum Is in the $400-500 range.

The Chromebooks are very tempting price wise. The normal applications like documents can easily be taken over by Google Docs (I currently use Microsoft Office). But processing binary files plus image viewers and multimedia files such as MP4, AVI, FLV or any video files require programs that are native to a windows operating system. Occasionally I run into a zip file or par files that NBP64 does not handle correctly. This happens when the poster does not use winrar or 7z in the normal way.

I am not willing to give up these valuable tools that I have collected over the years.

So will a Chrome version of NewsbinPro64 ever be available?
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Re: Will there ever be a Chrome OS version of NBP64

Postby Quade » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:00 am

Chomebooks are secure because they don't do much in the way of downloading like this. Not saying it's not doable. Just that I'm not sure how well it would work. Most real chromebooks have little local storage. I've installed "CloudReady" on a couple PC's. Basically it turns a PC into a chromebook. These machines have tons of local storage.

It's something to think about.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby eclapwannabe » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:28 pm

Ok thanks.

The price point for most Chromebooks are so attractive. I was also looking at an entry point to learn about
the Android OS. Oh well.

Thanks that was my suspicion that chrome and NB64 not compatiable.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:21 am

It would be a more natural fit for Android than ChromeOS.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jcthorne » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:24 pm

eclapwannabe wrote:I love NBP64. It is head and tails above any Usenet client program that I have every used.
However the price for Windows based computer with a half-way decent main processor i.e. Core I-3 minimum Is in the $400-500 range.

The Chromebooks are very tempting price wise. The normal applications like documents can easily be taken over by Google Docs (I currently use Microsoft Office). But processing binary files plus image viewers and multimedia files such as MP4, AVI, FLV or any video files require programs that are native to a windows operating system. Occasionally I run into a zip file or par files that NBP64 does not handle correctly. This happens when the poster does not use winrar or 7z in the normal way.

I am not willing to give up these valuable tools that I have collected over the years.

So will a Chrome version of NewsbinPro64 ever be available?

You need to find better places to source computers. Lots of decent computers available for well under the price point you mention.
jcthorne
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/01/03

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:37 pm

I like to buy used Toughbooks. You find a decent CF-19 with SSD and core i5 2.6 Ghz for $300-$400. I have one out in my garage serving music 24x7 as well as holding all my car manuals. You can then install Linux or CloudReady chrome OS. It's the best of both worlds, ChromeOS on a PC platform.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to General Discussion