BUG: .nzb in Newsbin downloads PARS first

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

BUG: .nzb in Newsbin downloads PARS first

Postby foomanchu » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:31 pm

Loading .NZB files in Newsbin Pro 6.80 Build 5058 starts downloading all the .par files first, and then starts on the binary files.

I have "Pause PARS and only download the ones needed for Repair" marked, but that setting appears to be broken in this version of Newsbin.
foomanchu
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: BUG: .nzb in Newsbin downloads PARS first

Postby Quade » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:58 pm

NZB files that only group the pars together properly have this issue. Which is many of the new weird NZBs.

I'd suggest 6.81. It automatically combines autoloaded NZB's (Double-Click, Sonarr, drag and drop and NZB Autoload) into a single line. The orders the PARS below the files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby foomanchu » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:06 pm

OK, will try it. FYI the pars were in a "single line", which I believe you are referring to being nested in the download itself. I don't have the problem of them loading separately as separate .par2 downloads, instead they are nested, but the setting to only download PAR files as needed was still not working.
foomanchu
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:30 pm

but the setting to only download PAR files as needed was still not working.

If they don't group properly, there's no way to know if files are still downloading for a set. Newsbin will download "in group" pars with each retry failure in hopes of eventually completing the files. When a set of files and pars group, Newsbin knows when the last file has downloaded so it can then download pars as needed. That's why force grouping these fucked up NZB files solves this issue.

The primary goal is to finish downloads. Saving bandwidth by not downloading pars is a secondary goal. If something unexpected happens, like you're trying to download ungrouped sets, you may end up with too many pars.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby foomanchu » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:05 pm

Finally upgraded to 6.81. The same issue occurs. It downloads all .par2 files first, then proceeds to download all the .rar's. The set of files shows as one entry in the "Download Files" tab, which you can then expand into a tree and you can see all the .rar's & .par2's below that.

So it appears it still is not able to figure out that I want to prioritize bandwidth and only download .par2's if necessary

I have capped usage limits Image link not allowed for unregistered users
foomanchu
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:50 pm

It doesn't do it for me so, I'm not clear what to tell you. AutoPAR needs to be on and you need to let Newsbin manage the par files. It works best if the pars and rars are grouped together (meaning it works best if you feed any NZB files directly to the download list and not first to the post list).

I only know of one case where this happens and that's if the pars are bad. It's easy to check them with quick par. Quickpar should load them and you should see the filenames of the rars listed.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby RayMark » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:23 pm

Yes, I have the same issue with 6.81 too.

And it is not an issue with bandwidth for me. When I downloaded a 400 GB size post, turns out par2s were downloaded first and there were lots and lots of par2s posted. So then the long long repair process began - many many times longer than downloading the actual not missing files.
So now I too first thing pause par2s, especially of bigger posts.
Newsbin should really know in what order to download files from a single nzb. It doesn't matter to what groups separate files were posted, they are already collected in a single nzb.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Return to V6 Technical Support