"Size of Data Waiting to be Downloaded" is Incorrect

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

"Size of Data Waiting to be Downloaded" is Incorrect

Postby V_M_F » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:43 pm

Got a new Dell 5060 Micro and decided to finally make the upgrade to 6.X (I'm a longtime 5.59 user) but I noticed that the Size of Data Waiting to be Downloaded number is incorrect 100% of the time. I've used NB for a long time, and many different versions, and it's always showed the total MB/GB in the Download queue, but now it just flies all over the place. If I am downloading XXX MBs of data, I would like to know the exact number.

I have a theory that it's only adding the downloads for a specific file set or the files that are actively downloading, but that doesn't make any sense and I'm hoping there is a setting or update I can use to fix it.

I am running NB Pro 64-bit 6.80
V_M_F
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: "Size of Data Waiting to be Downloaded" is Incorrect

Postby Quade » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:53 am

6.81 is pretty much released. I'd check it out.

I can't reproduce your issue. I add 4.4 gigs to the download list and it's showing 4.4 gigs on the status bar. Then I added a bunch from search and now it's showing 21 gigs which is the correct number.

Maybe it is related to the kind of downloads. I tried a mix of files but I probably haven't tried what you're downloading. It's the 4th number from the left on the status bar.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby V_M_F » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:36 pm

I have figured out what is going on.

Using 6.80, the "Size of Data Waiting to the Downloaded in Download List" is only showing the total PER SET OF DATA. i.e. the Download Total per "Files Selected from Post List" or "Files Selected per NZB". I've watched the numbers a lot and the math works perfectly.

So if I load 10 NZBs and then select 3 new files sets from Post Lists, NewsBin will give me 13 individual Download Totals that will each go to 0 and then start up again with the Total of the next set.

It never worked like that before, as I regularly download multiple file sets at the same time.
V_M_F
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby V_M_F » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:44 pm

If you want to try to replicate it, just load a few large NZB file sets to the Download List and then see if it totals up properly. Mine don't and it only displays on a per NZB or "file set" basis.
V_M_F
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Yeah, time to try it with 6.81. 6.80 is dead at this point by that I mean even if it is broken in 6.80, we've already moved on.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby V_M_F » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:46 pm

Nope, still doing the same thing on 6.81F - it just counts down each individual NZB I selected for download and when it gets to zero and completes, the "Size of Data" resets and counts down the next NZB.

I have AutoPAR disabled, AutoDownload of NZB is turned off, and I do not always select all the PAR files to download (depending on completion rate).

Otherwise I think it's pretty standard options.
V_M_F
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby V_M_F » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:27 pm

Same thing happens with AutoDownload NZBs enabled, it just shows each download set as a single entry and the "Size of Data" windows still counts down each set, before moving onto the next one.

What's interesting is that using this format, it shows only the active File Set as showing any data at all, and the other NZB File Sets containing "0 KB". It doesn't display that way with NZB autodownload disabled, and selecting and displaying each part, but it reacts the same way and doesn't "count" it until the previous File Set is completed.

Too bad I can't upload an image, but here's a text version:

Download Descriptions: __________ Size:
File Set AAA ____________________ 158/890MB
File Set BBBB ____________________ 0KB
File Set AABB _____________________ 0KB
File Set FFFF _____________________ 0KB
File Set GGIB _____________________ 0KB

732MB (Size of data waiting to be downloaded in the download list)
V_M_F
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:37 pm

You could emails some of these NZB's to TS@Newsbin.com. I can't make it fail.

Code: Select all
<file subject="Bla Bla.part001.rar&#34; yEnc(1/1912)" poster="bla@noreply.com" date="1522109588" >
<groups>
<group>alt.binaries.multimedia.anime</group>
</groups>
<segments>
<segment number="1" bytes="397332">part1of1912.fuzWWMXv6ren$ROT94Hd@camelsystem-powerpost.local</segment>
<segment number="2" bytes="397332">part2of1912.fuzWWMXv6ren$ROT94Hd@camelsystem-powerpost.local</segment>
<segment number="3" bytes="397332">part3of1912.fuzWWMXv6ren$ROT94Hd@camelsystem-powerpost.local</segment>
<segment number="4" bytes="397332">part4of1912.fuzWWMXv6ren$ROT94Hd@camelsystem-powerpost.local</segment>
<segment number="5" bytes="397332">part5of1912.fuzWWMXv6ren$ROT94Hd@camelsystem-powerpost.local</segment>
<segment number="6" bytes="397332">part6of1912.fuzWWMXv6ren$ROT94Hd@camelsystem-powerpost.local</segment>
<segment number="7" bytes="397332">part7of1912.fuzWWMXv6ren$ROT94Hd@camelsystem-powerpost.local</segment>
<segment number="8" bytes="397332">part8of1912.fuzWWMXv6ren$ROT94Hd@camelsystem-powerpost.local</segment>
<segment number="9" bytes="397332">part9of1912.fuzWWMXv6ren$ROT94Hd@camelsystem-powerpost.local</segment>

This is what it should look like inside the NZB's. I wonder if the bytes field is messed up in yours.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby V_M_F » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:53 pm

All NZBs from multiple sources exhibit the same issues, and they seem to have a "bytes" field, but I have emailed you 3 random ones I tested with.

I click or activate the NZB, and from the Search/Posts window I manually load "Download" or "Download Bypass Filters" selected files to the Downloading Files list, but only the active NZB shows a download file size at the bottom. When NZB 1 is finished downloading, then NZB 2 shows a file download size, and when NZB 2 is finished, NZB 3 shows a download size, all the way down the list of NZB file sets. Only the actively downloading NZB file set shows up as a file size to download.
V_M_F
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:18 pm

Dex and I were looking at it. He managed to repro it by adding files to the download list by first loading the NZB's into a post listing (up top). The adding them to the download list. Dex then double-clicked the NZB's into the download list and it worked fine. Showing a size.

I didn't see it because I was double-clicking and autoloading the NZB files. The work around seems to be to either double-click the NZB's directly into the download list or autoload them. Dex seems to think there's some connection with autopar but I tested both with and without autopar and it was the same.

So the takeaway seems to be, loading the NZB's first into the post list then feeding them from there to the download list triggers this. I'll add it to my todo list. It's too late for 6.81.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby V_M_F » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks, and I thought my methodology for downloading had something to do with it, but I prefer to download only the PARs I need and extract all files myself in a safe drive area.

I'll keep an eye on on the Betas to see if anything changes.
V_M_F
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:01 am

Newsbin does that with pars automatically. Particularly now that it groups wild NZB's together. The only time you might get too many is when they're bad and it keeps trying to find a good one. AMS posting group is known to occasionally post sets with bad pars.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby V_M_F » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:46 am

Quade wrote:Newsbin does that with pars automatically.

Really? I thought you needed AutoPAR enabled to get options like that, or did I miss a feature update? To be clear, is it an automatic PAR check on all full NZB downloads or an AutoPAR feature?

Also, the main reason I reported this bug is not due to the erroneous "file size" number, but primarily because it totally horks up the "green progress bar" in the Taskbar, so that it is constantly starting and finishing, over and over again, with no real indication of how long the full job really is. I never know how much I relied on that progress bar until it was no longer there.
V_M_F
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:49 am

Really? I thought you needed AutoPAR enabled to get options like that, or did I miss a feature update?

Autopar manages the PARS and only downloads the ones it needs. If you disable it, you have to manage it by hand. Some NZB's don't group anymore. They're posted and the subjects are random but the PARS still group. That's why autoloaded NZB's "force group" so the pars and rars are kept together. For these NZB's typically the PAR is used to rename the files to real names after autopar finishes checking them.

You can enable autopar and disable unrar if you want to unrar by hand. There must be some reason you disabled autopar. I'm not going to try to convince you one way or the other. RAR file checking is essentially free. They're checked while being assembled.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby V_M_F » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:01 am

I disabled AutoPAR because I don't trust everything I download and utilize a "sandbox" environment to test, check and extract files, and have no need for any automatic functionality. It's a nice feature from a time and usability POV, I just prefer to do it the manual method. I will give the AutoPAR with AutoRAR disabled option a shot, but I didn't know that was possible as I don't think it was available on older versions.

Do you know or could guess when this Download Size/Progress Bar feature might have gotten broken? I have been downloading the same way forever, and I remember using late 5.X and early-to-mid 6.X versions, and it worked perfectly on those, but the last time I tried upgrading was a few years ago. I finally upgraded to the latest when I got a new PC, and was finally able to adjust the UI to fit my needs, but I'd easily downgrade a few levels if the File Size and Progress Bar would work.

Thanks for the help, and everything else on the latest version works extremely well.
V_M_F
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby V_M_F » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:14 am

Okay, I tried it this way and it seems to work alright, and the "Size of Data Waiting to Download" works, but I no longer get a Progress Bar on the Windows 10 Task Bar. It's just 100% green from start to finish... it's kinda disconcerting actually, it's always this big bright green square on the Task Bar, while all other active programs are light grey. I

f you are not familiar with what I mean, Newsbin used to always give progress indicator on the Task Bar, similar to when you download files on IE or Firefox, and it also did so using my old settings - like the Fize Size total, it would just constantly rest on each file set/NZB. Now the File Size is working, but the indicator is locked at 100% (full green square) all the time.

Is there a setting for this?

EDIT: This is really weird, as once I was down to the final NZB, the progress indicator on the task bar suddenly reappeared, and it looks like there are a lot of niggles when downloading more than one NZB at a time. Something gets mixed up and Newsbin cannot combine them into one job or series of files.

EDIT2: Okay after playing around with some AutoPAR/NZB/UnRAR settings, then shutting down and restarting Newsbin a few times, it seems to be working as designed now, with proper File Size and Progress Task Bar features.
V_M_F
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support