Just making sure i have server priority configured correctly

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Just making sure i have server priority configured correctly

Postby innsanctum » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:36 pm

Both my newsgroup server accounts have unlimited downloads.

1) Newshosting (reseller of teir 1 Omicron Media) (30 connections)
2) easyusenet.nl (reseller of teir 1 Abavia) (20 connections)

I added easyusenet.nl because a lot of my downloads simply fail and i wanted the failed downloads to be attempted by easyusenet.nl

I have them both on priority "1", is that the recommended config for the above setup? I cant tell if it fails on newshosting and then tries on easyusenet.nl
innsanctum
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/03/17

Re: Just making sure i have server priority configured corre

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:15 pm

1 - Realistically you're probably using too many total connections. I'd probably set them each to 5-10 connections each. Too many connections can slow the download and certainly it'll chew up RAM.

2 - If both servers are the same priority, then effectively there is no priority. They'll both get used at the same time in parallel.

If you want it to use newshositng first, then check easyusenet, I'd probably set Easy to 2.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby innsanctum » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:10 am

Quade wrote:1 - Realistically you're probably using too many total connections. I'd probably set them each to 5-10 connections each. Too many connections can slow the download and certainly it'll chew up RAM.

2 - If both servers are the same priority, then effectively there is no priority. They'll both get used at the same time in parallel.

If you want it to use newshositng first, then check easyusenet, I'd probably set Easy to 2.

Thats very interesting. I have tons of ram but I will lower the connections on each of my servers to 5 each and see what happens.

So with all 2 servers being priority one, how would that even work with whats being downloaded? Would one server download just overwrite the other's download in my downloads directory? Does newsbin split the download between the 2?

How about 3 servers with priority 1, 2 and 3? If parts of a file fail to download on priority 1, does it look to see if it exists on the server in priority 2, and if it fails on 2, does it check on 3? Or does it try to download the file completely from scratch? I was under the impression missing blocks would be why people add 2nd or 3rd servers.

Im trying to understand how prioritizing these different servers function inside of newsbin.
innsanctum
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:29 am

So with all 2 servers being priority one, how would that even work with whats being downloaded

Downloads are divided into "chunks" or posts so, a 50 meg file might be made of 150 posts. If you have all servers set to the same priority, each chunk is handed to a connection to download across both servers. If the chunk fails on one server, it's handed to the other server to try. So, there's a natural chunking mechanism that makes is easy to divide work across connections and servers. After all the chunks are downloaded, they're assembled into a file.

If you have one server set to 1 and the other to 2, all chunks will get tried on the priority 1 server and any failures will then get tried on the priority 2 server.

If both servers a flat rate meaning the both have the same cost. There's no point to making one a different priority. On the other hand if one account is metered and the other unlimited, you make the unlimited server priority 1 and the metered server priority 2 so, it's only used when needed.

The reason you seldom need all the connections is because, unlike torrents, your data is only coming from the server instead of from a bunch of random people out on the internet. That means typically you get more data per connection.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby innsanctum » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:41 am

Quade wrote:
So with all 2 servers being priority one, how would that even work with whats being downloaded

Downloads are divided into "chunks" or posts so, a 50 meg file might be made of 150 posts. If you have all servers set to the same priority, each chunk is handed to a connection to download across both servers. If the chunk fails on one server, it's handed to the other server to try. So, there's a natural chunking mechanism that makes is easy to divide work across connections and servers. After all the chunks are downloaded, they're assembled into a file.

If you have one server set to 1 and the other to 2, all chunks will get tried on the priority 1 server and any failures will then get tried on the priority 2 server.

If both servers a flat rate meaning the both have the same cost. There's no point to making one a different priority. On the other hand if one account is metered and the other unlimited, you make the unlimited server priority 1 and the metered server priority 2 so, it's only used when needed.

The reason you seldom need all the connections is because, unlike torrents, your data is only coming from the server instead of from a bunch of random people out on the internet. That means typically you get more data per connection.

Thank you for a great explanation. You are a scholar and a gentlemen!
innsanctum
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support