Double-Click no longer displays filename.

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Double-Click no longer displays filename.

Postby gplatt » Mon May 21, 2018 5:05 am

Just upgraded to 6.80 from previous beta needed to handle obfuscated files. As most files now are displayed as 58730a0818ed47369c623ec3a69b866b.part01.rar
for example, on the previous version I found where if you had say 6 files cued up for download, you could double-click on the nzb and it would change the filename to a english readable version. This no longer works on 6.80. Is this an oversite or intentional?
Regards and thanks for a superb product!

Graeme
gplatt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/30/05

Re: Double-Click no longer displays filename.

Postby Quade » Mon May 21, 2018 10:54 am

I'm not following what you mean.

Many files are posted in an obscured format these days and the only way to know what's in them is the NZB Filename. Where are you double-clicking?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby gplatt » Mon May 21, 2018 11:11 pm

Quade wrote:I'm not following what you mean.

Many files are posted in an obscured format these days and the only way to know what's in them is the NZB Filename. Where are you double-clicking?

Thanks for the reply I'll try and make it more clear. On the previous version if I downloaded several nzb files, they appear under their readable name.
I then with newsbin running, could double-click on each nzb in the download directory I had saved them to and they would then appear in newsbin's download folder and start downloading. The only problem at that stage was if there is one you wanted to remove but only had them listed in the obfuscated file names you couldn't work out which one you wanted to remove unless you remembered what order you initially clicked on them to move them to newsbin.
Now, the first file in the cue once being downloaded showed it's readable file name. I found then that if I went back to the nzb list in my directory and proceeded to double-click on each nzb, newsbin changed the obfuscated filename to the readable filename making it real easy to find and remove the file you were looking for. As this was such a handy option I wondered why it was no longer available in the current version?
Hope that is more clearer Quade.
Regards
Graeme
gplatt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue May 22, 2018 1:03 am

In 6.80, if I have an NZB named "NZB With some files.nzb" then I double-click this NZB to feed it to the download list. The listing in the Download list is:

<NZB With some files> hnwpEhyfTxIqAjHbxHh-[63/72] - "hnwpEhyfTxIqAjHbxHh.rar" yEnc....

So the NZB Filename is embedded in the download list based on the filename of the NZB. Do the NZB's you double-click have meaningful filenames?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby gplatt » Fri May 25, 2018 5:58 am

Yes they do Quade. Example:

<Noted : Quade>

etc, etc.

Graeme
gplatt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby gplatt » Fri May 25, 2018 6:01 am

gplatt wrote:Yes they do Quade. Example:

etc, etc.

Graeme

I have also noticed that double-clicking on these filenames like above now places the obfuscated filename in Newsbins downloads folder/listing.
gplatt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri May 25, 2018 7:15 am

What's your "UnRAR Folder" set to? Does it or the download path include $(SUBJECT)? The subject of these posts is the obscured parts.

<Bla bla listd 2017.1080p.AMZN.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTG.nzb> [002/180] - "8Ag8nK30pCuFLXCQMSgF.part001.rar" -50,73 GB- yEnc

I'm simply unable to reproduce your issue. If I rename an NZB to this, then double-click it, the subject listed in the download list includes the actual filename of the NZB. I have a feeling there's some disconnect here. Some step you're not telling me that might explain this.

Make sure you don't have "Show Filename" checked in the download list right click menu.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby gplatt » Tue May 29, 2018 9:39 am

Thanks Quade, I'll check that and get back to you.

Graeme
gplatt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby gplatt » Wed May 30, 2018 4:36 am

"Make sure you don't have "Show Filename" checked in the download list right click menu."

Ok that was checked on and in removing it immediately the first file being download displayed it's actual readable name.

Now the only difference in this version and the previous version beta is that the previous version allowed you to click the raw NZB files in your directory and as you clicked on each one, newsbin would change the filename of the cued file in it's download directory to the readable filename.
Unfortunately this feature no longer works in 6.80. Do you think it is practical the roll back to the previous beta?

Regards
Graeme
gplatt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed May 30, 2018 7:52 am

The Anyplace you want the folder to show the NZB Filename, you have to use $(NZBFILE) in the path.

X:\Download\$(NZBFILE)\

If you have an unrar path set you need it in the unrar path too.

X:\UnRAR\$(NZBFILE)\

If you don't use an UnRAR path and let it unrar in place, you can just set it in the download path. If you use an unrar path, I recommend not using it in the download path because it makes cleanup problematic.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby gplatt » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:09 am

Thanks Quade, I am already using $(NZBFILE) in the config. I found another newsbin "easteregg".
It works this way....Say you have 10 files to place in newsbin's download folder. You double-click or drag and drop them into the folder and newsbin starts downloading the first file and changes it's displayed name to the readable version however the other 9 files show only their obfuscated filenames.
So, if you shut down newsbin completely and then start it up again, the entire 10 filenames are now showing their readable names!
This is such a handy feature that it would be great if there was a clickable option to do just this without shutting down the program. Maybe an option to put in the next beta?

Regards
Graeme
gplatt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:25 am

I'll see if I can reproduce this. Thanks.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby gplatt » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:01 am

Quade wrote:I'll see if I can reproduce this. Thanks.

So did you get a chance to check this out Quade? What do you think?

Graeme
gplatt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:42 am

I can't make it fail. I added 20 NZB's in one shot and they all showed the filename.

Specifically how are you adding them to the download list? You can't double-click 10 at a time. You have to either use autoload or drag and drop.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby gplatt » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:06 am

Quade wrote:I can't make it fail. I added 20 NZB's in one shot and they all showed the filename.

Specifically how are you adding them to the download list? You can't double-click 10 at a time. You have to either use autoload or drag and drop.

Have tried both ways, drag and drop a group or double-click individual files into Newsbin. On each occasion only the first filename displays in readable form all others are obfuscated, then shut down newsbin and start up again and now ALL the file names are readable. I'm not suggesting it is failing, just that being able to change all the filenames over to readable would be a handy option in a future release.
PS: The previous beta version did this automatically when you double-clicked nzb's into Newsbin which is why I was surprised to see it not available in the current release.

Graeme.
gplatt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:08 pm

just that being able to change all the filenames over to readable would be a handy option in a future release.

Right now you're the only person reporting this so, I don't consider it a bug yet. The question is why does it work for me and not work for you? Are you using vanilla windows 10 or something else, like Wine under linux or Crossover on a Mac?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby gplatt » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:46 am

Quade wrote:
just that being able to change all the filenames over to readable would be a handy option in a future release.

Right now you're the only person reporting this so, I don't consider it a bug yet. The question is why does it work for me and not work for you? Are you using vanilla windows 10 or something else, like Wine under linux or Crossover on a Mac?

Using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. So are you saying then that if you drag and drop a group of nzb files into a running newsbin it automatically converts all files to readable filenames?
As the previous beta version did this automatically, do you suggest I download the latest version?
Totally confused now Quade :0
gplatt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:55 am

automatically converts all files to readable filenames

If I drag and drop a group of NZB's into the download list, all the files end up with the NZB filename as part of the subject line.

<NZBFilename #1> bla bla
<NZBFilename #2> bla bla
<NZBFilename #3> bla bla

I resist calling it "converts to readable filenames" because all it really does is show part of the NZB Filename in the subject area. So, if the NZB Filenames themselves aren't readable, you won't see a readable fields.
Even you mention that on restart they show up. That suggests the data is there but it's not displaying on your Win7.

<NZBFilename #1> bla bla
bla bla
bla bla

If I understand your report, what you see is this, till you restart Newsbin.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby gplatt » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Quade wrote:
automatically converts all files to readable filenames

I resist calling it "converts to readable filenames" because all it really does is show part of the NZB Filename in the subject area. So, if the NZB Filenames themselves aren't readable, you won't see a readable fields.
Even you mention that on restart they show up. That suggests the data is there but it's not displaying on your Win7.

<NZBFilename #1> bla bla
bla bla
bla bla

If I understand your report, what you see is this, till you restart Newsbin.

Correct. So how do I fix it? I assume when you load nzb's into Newsbin it displays the readable part of the filename automatically. Do you recommend I install a new copy of Newsbin?
Graeme
gplatt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:25 am

Correct. So how do I fix it?

It's difficult to fix something that doesn't actually fail for me. If you shuffle the order so, the bottom most download becomes the top-most, doesn't the filename show up?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support