Bug in the exit dialog

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Bug in the exit dialog

Postby Wildfire » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:54 am

I have NewsBin Pro configured to put a prompt whenever I try to exit the program. In that prompt, there's an option labeled "Don't show this again". Sometimes, this option is already enabled when the prompt appears and if I then click "Exit Newsbin?" before disabling the option, I then have to go to Newsbin's options to enable the exit prompt again.

So obviously there's a bug where the "Don't show this again"-option sometimes gets enabled by default. Unfortunately enough I have not (yet) been able to establish specific conditions to make this bug pop up.

I already noticed this bug a while ago, I think it was already there back when the exit dialog was introcuded.

(by the way, I'm currently using version 6.50 build 3126)

-- Update: just installed 6.51B1 build 3140 and that version also has the bug. As a matter of fact, the first timed I tried it already popped up...
Wildfire
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/12/03

Re: Bug in the exit dialog

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:33 am

Sounds like it's sharing a variable with something else and when you check this "something else" it also checks the exit dialog prompt.

I'll check it out, thanks.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Wildfire » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:46 am

To clarify: I have not changed any option in NewsBin Pro for months, so I would say this bug is not linked to the user changing an option somewhere else.
Wildfire
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:01 pm

Well, I've never had it happen to me so, I still think my theory is correct. I've never had the exit prompt toggle. To me that implies you're simply using some setting I don't and it's shared incorrectly with the exit prompt. Either that or your Newsbin.nbi is getting corrupted.

I'm assuming it's a shared variable bug right now. Something that I can fix.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Wildfire » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:37 pm

Well, the problem is just weird. I've just tried exiting NewsBin Pro a few times and each time I clicked "No! Don't exit", so I didn't exit the program. After a few times of doing this, the "Don't show this again"-prompt suddenly was enabled.

I've been able to reproduce this, however the amount of times I have to click "No! Don't exit" before the option becomes enabled varies each time.
Wildfire
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Wildfire » Mon May 23, 2016 11:24 am

Kicking this topic back into view...

This issue is still present. I've just performed a clean install of NewsBin Pro and after just a few times of closing NewsBin Pro, the "Don't show this again" checkbox suddenly was checked.

So... I'm assuming I'm not the only one encountering this bug, right?

(currently using version 6.71B1 build 4637)
Wildfire
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Mon May 23, 2016 12:41 pm

It's still not something I've ever seen. I will look it over again though because of your prompting.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Wildfire » Mon May 23, 2016 3:27 pm

Quade wrote:It's still not something I've ever seen. I will look it over again though because of your prompting.

Thanks!

---

By the way, am I the only one to have ever reported this small bug? Surely there must be others experiencing it.

-- Edit: by the way, earlier in 2014 you suggested it might be an issue with a shared variable. That would be strange, since the bug occurs even though I have literally changed no options at all.
Wildfire
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Mon May 23, 2016 4:32 pm

By the way, am I the only one to have ever reported this small bug? Surely there must be others experiencing it.

Only you. I looked at the variable this morning after you posted it. My theory seemed to be incorrect. I couldn't find anything wrong.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Wildfire » Sat May 28, 2016 4:50 pm

Quade wrote:

Only you. I looked at the variable this morning after you posted it. My theory seemed to be incorrect. I couldn't find anything wrong.

Well, since the issue persisted after a clean install of both Windows and NewsBin Pro, it would only be logical to suspect it's something in NewsBin's code.

I have noticed that it seems to occur more often when I clear the various logging tabs (download list, failed list, etc.) before exiting the program.
Wildfire
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Wildfire » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:49 pm

I just performed a clean install of version 6.80 beta 13 and I can confirm this bug is still alive. When I closed Newsbin the "Don't show this again"-option was enabled by default. After a few times opening and closing the program I can confirm it seems to pop up randomly. Also, while in the same Newsbin session it occurs randomly when I choose "No, don't exit" while having the option disabled. Sometimes it just pops up...
Wildfire
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:51 pm

I'm happy to try again. This is one of those things which can be fixed as long as I can reproduce it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Wildfire » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:39 pm

As this was a complete clean install (I wiped all traces of NewsBin Pro from my computer, all folders and all registry traces) I'm assuming something very specific to my computer must be causing this issue. I would think that there would be other users experiencing this issue. Hopefully some more people will come forward so that you might be able to find something in common between all our systems... something *must* be causing the "Don't show this again"-option to be enabled all by itself sometimes...
Wildfire
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Do you have any kinda mouse positioning software installed? I've seem some weird stuff in the past where people had mousing optimizers or some such installed and it cause weird clicks.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Wildfire » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:08 am

Quade wrote:Do you have any kinda mouse positioning software installed? I've seem some weird stuff in the past where people had mousing optimizers or some such installed and it cause weird clicks.

Nope. The only mouse software I have is Logitech Gaming Software (for my Logitech G602).
Wildfire
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to V6 Technical Support