Apple Mac !!!!

While it isn't officially supported, we have many users who successfully run NewsBin under Linux with a Windows emulator (Wine is the most popular). This forum exists for you Linux guys to share your experience getting NewsBin running on Linux as well as report any strangeness that we may or may not be able to fix. DThor is the resident expert.

Moderators: Quade, dexter, newsraider, DThor

Apple Mac !!!!

Postby abbee » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:21 am

My brother wants to give me his Apple MacBook Pro and my old PC is about to give up so I am thinking of going all mac.

I've been a happy newsbin pro user for lots of years.

Do you have a mac version? IF not, anybody know of a good mac downloader? I do mostly music.

I thought this forum was as good as any of the choices to ask in.

_
Last edited by abbee on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abbee
n00b
n00b

Re: Apple Mac !!!!

Postby DThor » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:18 am

No, no Mac version nor is one planned. Several users use a VM to successfully run Newsbin, personally I think that's a pain for a single application, but to each their own. I keep asking about the status of wine in Mac, but apart from the rare post it's unclear if that's in any usable state. It's virtually invisible to run in the sense that it appears to run like any other application, but someone has to keep the port up to date, especially with Apple's tendency to curate your computing experience. I haven't seen a success! post in here in some time.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby dexter » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:48 am

We have some more information in the Newsbin Help Wiki
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby rpalermo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:56 am

I run newsbin on OSX through WinOnX. This is a WINE wrapper, and it is available in the Mac App Store. Install WinOnX, then run the newsbin installer (on Mac), and it will appear as an executable program within WinOnX. You do not need to load Parallels/VMWare/BootCamp or any other solutions to turn your mac into a pc first. Unfortunately, WinOnX only works on a very limited subset of Windows apps (and because of it is getting the 1-star reviews), but it DOES work with newsbin. It is awesome to have newbin and it's internet search function available to me on OSX.
rpalermo
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/29/03

Postby DThor » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:03 pm

That's a good info update, always wondered why there wasn't more wine ports for Mac.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Wow that's neat.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Darwould » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:53 am

Another option is the free virtualbox which I have been running for some time. Yes it's a full VM solution but once you go down that road there's no worries with things breaking. Virtualbox is free an works very well but you will need a valid Windows license.
Darwould
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/13/05

Postby gfx1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:10 am

I use wine on OSX previously wine on Linux with newsbin.
On OSX you can install macports and after that $sudo port install wine (you'll need xcode and the xcode commandline tools iirc)
A long detailed version is here:
www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

Lately I have some problems with autopar, I am using 6.34 and started using par2 and unrar manually from the shell.
gfx1
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/06/04

Postby asok1421 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:07 pm

rpalermo wrote:I run newsbin on OSX through WinOnX. This is a WINE wrapper, and it is available in the Mac App Store. Install WinOnX, then run the newsbin installer (on Mac), and it will appear as an executable program within WinOnX. You do not need to load Parallels/VMWare/BootCamp or any other solutions to turn your mac into a pc first. Unfortunately, WinOnX only works on a very limited subset of Windows apps (and because of it is getting the 1-star reviews), but it DOES work with newsbin. It is awesome to have newbin and it's internet search function available to me on OSX.

It "runs" but not very well imo. I installed the latest WinOnX ($4.99) from the AppStore onto OS X 10.8.2. The only choice for Newsbin Pro was 32 bits.

Installation was fine. Running the app...not so fine. The main window is not re-sizeable and is very large. The bottom tabs on the window cannot be selected because their close proximity to Dock icons. Expanding and collapsing list items does not work.

Was the app able to process an NZB successfully? Yes. And that may be your most important criteria.

If this WinOnX is indicative of Wine's functionality in general, I'm sufficiently underwhelmed.
asok1421
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/01/12

Postby DThor » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:18 am

It's not - wine on native Linux is pretty good. There are *always* some graphics issues but in general quite usable. Keep in mind what they're doing and how they accomplished it - I still find it pretty amazing you can wrap an entire OS as a container that lets you run it as if it's just the application. I admit it doesn't shock me that the apple port might need more love - they always seemed to have less interest in wine. There's always a VM...

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby chiphead » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:07 pm

Newsbin works well enough in Parallels, but I would pay extra to have it running it natively in OSX. I'm using Windows only on my gaming rig, while I do my work in OSX more and more lately. This coming from someone who has used Windows since the 3.x days and dabbled in OS/2 back in the day. Kids today are missing out on how we had to use CLI's to do some basic stuff.

I'm off on a tangent here, but would also be nice if they could come up with a way to save files to the cloud natively instead of saving to a google drive or dropbox folder and then uploading. As I add more devices to my repertoire of gadgets, I'm finding that I would like to access it from my iPad or SGS3 even when I'm not at home managing my NB queue.
chiphead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/08/06

Postby xenutv » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:23 am

So I bought the WinOnX app just for Newsbin and am amazed by how well is works. But how do I access the files it downloaded? I'm able to see them in the MacOnX architecture but is there a way to move the mpg from that to one of the regular mac folders? Thanks.
xenutv
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:10 am

Someone here might know, but I'd hit up their tech support for a faster response. Having cross mounted folders is pretty typical for a program /emulator like that.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby xenutv » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. The support at the WinOnX site looks pretty weak but I sent them an email. I was just hoping to bump into someone who actually used it for newsbin. Hopefully I will hear back from them.
xenutv
n00b
n00b

Postby xenutv » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Well, I just answered my own question. I'm new to mac but I remembered I could look into a hidden folder by using the "go to folder" function in Finder. Entering ~/Library/WinOnX/ got me into the directory. I hope this helps someone else.
xenutv
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:45 am

Cool, thanks for the update.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Return to Linux