Several conveniences

This is the place for people switching to Newsbin from other newsreaders, or for people evaluating Newsbin who are already experienced Usenet users. If your old newsreader had a feature you liked that Newsbin doesn't, tell us about it.
Forum rules
- No discussion of specific content found on Usenet.
- Be nice to others. Trolls and Flamers will be banned at our discretion
- No advertising for other newsreaders, products, or services.

Several conveniences

Postby b38kje2nq » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:43 pm

First of all, thank you for a thoughtful topic. I'm one of possibly many who is currently fleeing from NewsLeecher but I am indeed missing some features in NewsBin:

Posts Window:
- the ability to set a custom number of days or alternatively, more choices between 7 and 15 days (I tend to visit Usenet once a week; with 7 days, sometimes things fall through the crack between 7 and 8 days);
- Boolean operators - or at least a way to specify AND and NOT;
- some ability to limit the view to a particular uploader so that additional filtering can be done on that view;
- it would be great to have multiple sort; if I'm greedy, it would be even better if it were maintained when setting or clearing Display or Filters;
- a info tip when hovering the small icon to the left of the subject (with my memory I still have to check Help > View Icon Legend regularly... :)).

Download Window:
- the ability to specify file types (e.g. *.jpg and *.nfo) and/or sizes (e.g. < 4 MB) to automatically be moved to the top of the queue.
I gather that version 6 will already have Compact View for the Download Window; I'd like that for the ability to sort jobs by size.

//Edited to add:
Search Window:
- the ability to "bookmark" (store and retrieve) searches;
- searching on poster.
//Edited to add.

Apologies in advance if I've missed any of the above having already been requested elsewhere on this forum.

I hope some of the above will be found useful. For me, the things I miss most are the ability to specify a number of days between 7 and 15, and the ability to specify files to be moved to the top of the queue. Very curious to see what's in version 6!

Thank you.
b38kje2nq
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/05/07

Re: Several conveniences

Postby Quade » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:25 pm

- Display age tells Newsbin how many days to load into the post list.

- You know "shift" and then how ever you add the files makes them go to the top right? Shift-Enter or shift double-click.

You have some other good ideas. I'll think about it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby b38kje2nq » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:33 am

Quade wrote:- Display age tells Newsbin how many days to load into the post list.

That's great; with the calendar controls it allows for easier date range selection than NewsLeecher. I'd missed that because of the Age filter being the obvious and only way to me.

Quade wrote:- You know "shift" and then how ever you add the files makes them go to the top right? Shift-Enter or shift double-click.

I'd missed that; the one disadvantage is that you have to *think* when adding files. (That sounds a bit lazy :), but it's a diversion from parsing the post list.) In NewsLeecher, you can simply add all files (priority and non-priority) in the same way and at the same time, with the Queue automatically moving certain files to the top.

Thank you for considering.
b38kje2nq
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/05/07

Postby mho » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:37 pm

Quade wrote:- You know "shift" and then how ever you add the files makes them go to the top right? Shift-Enter or shift double-click.

Unfortunately, I think you forgot to add this to the latest bunch of shortcuts: C-b (download to folder) and C-n (download to new folder) do not seem to have S-C-b/S-C-n counterparts. It would be nice to get 'em in 6.

(Excuse the emacs-speak:-))

- mho
mho
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/08

Postby Mastermind » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:48 am

mho wrote:Unfortunately, I think you forgot to add this to the latest bunch of shortcuts: C-b (download to folder) and C-n (download to new folder) do not seem to have S-C-b/S-C-n counterparts. It would be nice to get 'em in 6.

You have to press SHIFT before you click the SAVE-Button, then it works.
Mastermind
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/15/03

Postby Quade » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:39 am

Just to be clear, I'm not averse to adding features. Right this minute I'm hip deep in version 6 though so, getting the baseline working is the first priority and then adding features comes next.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Picker321 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:37 pm

i m a noob to these forums, somewhat, although am an oldie techine. anyway, i just wanted to ay thanks for taking the time to post the detials you do, as after reading this post i realize i am not using newzbin to its fullest extent, and i am going to start learing more today, thanks.
Picker321
n00b
n00b

Return to Immigrants from other Newsreaders