Strange threaded file download process

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Strange threaded file download process

Postby MrMonoxide » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:23 am

Sorry, still trying to get my head around some of Newsbin's behaviour:

In a binary group, I selected a Re:**** text file to download so that I could read it. This file downloaded and displayed in the Files List as expected. However, I noticed that other files from that thread had also been downloaded and did >not< display in the Files List window, so I had to use Windows Explorer to access that particular Newsbin directory and view/delete those files maunually.

I didn't expect the other files to auto-download and why didn't they display in the Files List window?

Thanks for any help with this counter-intuitive Newsbin behaviour.

Also, getting a lot of warning messages and additional hoops to jump through from my security software and web browser due to this forum not being "secure".
MrMonoxide
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Strange threaded file download process

Postby Quade » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:26 pm

Newsbin is primarily for binary's. In fact because of the way many posters are now posting with random "poster" addresses, it doesn't do any filtering on posters when combining posts into files anymore. The upside is that is can combine oddball files. The downside is that it coalesces all posts with the same subjects together and then removes duplicates. Meaning threading probably doesn't work. I think for me to do threading, I'd need a parallel "text only" post database that gets handled differently than binaries. I can think about doing that.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum