Using two server sites

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Using two server sites

Postby danrobin » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:30 pm

I have question about servers. I have just started using Newshosting and Astraweb. Now d/ling headers should I just use one server and then have the others set up be number 2 3 and 4 as far as downloading files ? I'm asking because I have tried to d/l headers from the EU and US servers but it's killing everything else on the computer and Also I don't have cable I use Netflix and Sling and it says I have no Network connection. Also What is the best download age to start with ? I can't find anywhere with Astraweb and Newshosting What their File retention is on their servers.
Danrobin
danrobin
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/09/06

Re: Using two server sites

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:54 am

I'd download headers from one server only. I'd probably use Newshosting for that too.

If you already have headers on disk, there's no need to re-download them. You could just set a short "Download Age" like 5 days and allow the new servers to simply feed the last 5 days worth. If you've already started downloading headers from all the servers, the "Download Age" trick won't work anymore. You can force it to work again but stopping all header downloads, waiting for Newsbin to finish processing the ones on disk already then selecting all the groups, right click "Post Storage/Use Download Age".
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby danrobin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:43 pm

Well I wiped everything out and started from the beginning. I was just using Newshosting for the header downloads. So what i get now is ERROR Download List Insert Failed: Download GroupsList: Newshosting US. This what I name the Server US server And I had to download a new grouplist. It won't download from any of the servers. On another note I'm using v6.81B4 and I uncheck the MOTD box but I still get it when I boot the program.
Danrobin
danrobin
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:08 pm

1 - I'd restart Newsbin and try again. If that doesn't fix it, I'd go into the data folder (options, open data folder) exit Newsbin then delete "DownloadsV2.db3" then try again.

2 - If you're not registered it'll show the MOTD no matter what the setting is. You might need re-register your key in the help menu "register/update key.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby danrobin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:16 pm

I went in and deleted all the download.db3 files and the filter.db3 and groups.db3 files and rebooted the program and everything came right up running ok. I can D/l the group database file no problem.It's d/ling the groups ok also,i did set them to a much lower amount so it doesn't waste time on anything. Still have that MOTD popping up though.
Danrobin
danrobin
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby danrobin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Well that took care of the MOTD problem. Thanks alot.....
Danrobin
danrobin
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newbie Forum