Custom Lists to search specified groups

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Custom Lists to search specified groups

Postby Sesquipod » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:39 am

I would like to search just within groups which have "movies" in the title. Can you please explain how to create a custom list of such groups? At the moment I see a search field dropdown headed "All Groups" which has "Automobiles", "Motorcycles", "Music", etc in the list. It also contains "Custom_Lists" but I can't see how one creates such a list! Thanks.
Sesquipod
n00b
n00b

Re: Custom Lists to search specified groups

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:08 pm

1 - Make a new topic using "New Folder" in the groups right click message.

2 - Add all the groups you want to add using the groups dialog from the options.

3 - Move these groups into your new folder.

4 - In the watch list, settings, pick this new topic as the "search in" groups.

That'll limit the search to those groups. I'd only add the big groups. If the group doesn't contain at lease 100 million headers, I wouldn't add it. Keep in mind that many things are posted too oddball groups that don't have "Movie" in the group name.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Sesquipod » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:49 pm

Many thanks for quick and very helpful reply. I've successfully executed steps 1-3 and that has given me what I want (a new option in the All Groups dropdown). Not sure I follow what's happening in step 4, though. I thought Watch Lists were to alert you to new posts that matched specified criteria?
Sesquipod
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:59 am

would like to search just within groups which have "movies" in the title

I assumed you meant "watch lists" and not "custom list". Custom lists are something you feed by hand. Say you load a group or you use search, you can send some of the results to a custom list.

If you really mean "custom list" there's no much point to doing what I suggested.

So, maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do. If you want the search engine to just return results from your newly created list of groups, you just need to select this topic before you search.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Sesquipod » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:04 pm

OK. I am wanting to search within just a selection of groups. How do i select a topic before I search?
Sesquipod
n00b
n00b

Postby dexter » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:52 pm

Click the "Search in Groups" dropdown on the Search tab. By default it is "All Groups". When you click on the dropdown box, it'll list all the group folders that are configured in the Groups tab. Once a group folder is selected, only the groups in that folder will be searched.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Newbie Forum