Obfuscated posts and unrard file name

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Obfuscated posts and unrard file name

Postby ajowers » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:00 pm

When an obfuscated post is downloaded and unrar'd, NewsBin will create a folder with the name of the [the post decrypted?] whereas the extracted file will be a bunch of random characters.

I know that multiple files can be in a rar set, so I don't expect there is a way to have the extracted file be given a name that is the same as the folder it is contained within... is there?

Of course if I download a rar set that contains a music CD, I would not want any file names changed, so I expect this is a catch 22, right ?
ajowers
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/18/03

Re: Obfuscated posts and unrard file name

Postby Quade » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:53 pm

If using NZB files, the latest beta will rename the obscured MKV using the NZB Filename as the source. If you're using headers, there really is no information in the download indicating the real name. Thus is done purposely (by the people posting) to force people to use NZB Files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ajowers » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:06 pm

Thanks, NZB files yes. Great, when will the beta be released ?
ajowers
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:58 pm

6.80 has been in beta for awhile now. I think it's close to release. There's a link here in the forum.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ajowers » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:50 am

thanks, I have searched or called myself searching for beta v6.80 and I can't locate it.

I also tried phpbb "search" for ..

v6.80
beta download
beta

In all cases the forum say "error too few words bla bla bla" I just plain can't search for the beta release. so, I am asking for a link to that post... please?
ajowers
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:30 pm

http://www.newsbin.com/beta.php

You don't see the beta section of the forum when you check it? I wonder if there's some permissions problem. You might have to enter your key into the forum to see it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ajowers » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:22 pm

I did input my key. Do I have to do it each time I log in? And no. I do not see a beta section but the link works. thanks.
ajowers
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:13 pm

I don't have to put it in every time. Nor do most people. Nothing is ever 100% on the internet so, it's not odd that some number of people will have issues.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dexter » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:44 pm

ajowers wrote:I did input my key. Do I have to do it each time I log in? And no. I do not see a beta section but the link works. thanks.

You didn't get added to the Registered Users group for some reason so the beta forum was being hidden from you. I've fixed it, you should have access now.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby UPdown » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:11 am

Quade wrote:If using NZB files, the latest beta will rename the obscured MKV using the NZB Filename as the source. If you're using headers, there really is no information in the download indicating the real name. Thus is done purposely (by the people posting) to force people to use NZB Files.

You've done a great job de-obfuscating MKV files and other file formats of a similar ilk. I haven't tried beta 13 to see what you've added to that feature, but beta 12 did have some hit and misses with non-MKV's. AVI's seemed to be the biggest group of misses. But it did miss the odd MP4 and even MKV's. Always got TS's correct. Overall, I'm guessing you were about 90 percent successful. Which is an A+ by my grading system. Any chance to move that up to perfection? And no, I don't have any current examples. But, if asked, I could keep the NZB's to pass along the misses.

My REMAINING issue is the inability to filter out saving the .PAR files post your work. I have to use a routine to flatten the whole download tree and delete the .PAR2 files and then any remaining .NZB files. There will the be the odd .Rar and .001 etc files that get left over in the hub bub of multiple downloads. I can live with that. But I am annoyed I can't create the filter that rids the folders of those .PAR2 files. My post UNRar DeepSixSpamNStuff filter has a reject IF Filename contains \.par2$. I had one for Subject too, but that seemed superfluous so I disabled it.

Ideas always welcome for my problems. SOLUTIONS, however, are even MORE appreciated. Have a good remainder of the holiday season.
UPdown
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/27/12

Postby Quade » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:12 am

Yeah, AVI's aren't renamed at all. I've not seen any obscure AVI's. If you want to email Dex and I some NZB's we can test with, I'll check it out. ts@Newsbin.com You can reference this post.

B13 renames a wider assortment or obscured files.

PARS files never hit the post unrar filter so, it's pointless to try to remove them with filters. Any sets of files that aren't grouped will probably have straggler pars. B13 improves grouping for autoloaded and drag and drop NZB's.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby enchant » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:52 am

My problem might be related to this or not. From time to time, my main download folder is getting filled with oddball files. They've got no extension, just a random number of random characters. The ones I found today were mostly in the 75MB size. If this is something that might be addressed by the current upgrade, I don't mind waiting for an official release. I just want to make sure it's nothing I can correct in options. FWIW, I'm using Newsbin with Sonarr.
enchant
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/14/10

Postby Quade » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:42 pm

They've got no extension, just a random number of random characters.

This is normal for obscured files. It's not until Newsbin goes to repair the files that they get renamed to their proper names. If you download these and have no PARS then the whole download won't work. PARS are required for these files.

I'd suggest using B13 at this point. Usenet is moving fast and the older versions are probably too old for the new obscured formats. The only issue in B13 with these files is that sometimes the files sort below the PARS so they're slow to finish downloading. That'll be fixed in the next one.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to Newbie Forum