Any updates on v7 or ... anything at all? :)

General NewsBin and Usenet related discussions. Make recommendations for additional specific discussion groups.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Any updates on v7 or ... anything at all? :)

Postby br0adband » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:00 pm

Howdy,

Long time user of NBP and still loving it to this day, so thank you Quade and all the other people involved with making it *still* the best Usenet binary file tool that's ever been made. I started out long, long ago using many different apps from the good old days: MicroPlanet Gravity, then the mods of it (SuperGravity, etc), Forte Agent and FreeAgent, and many such tools for years before NBP came on the scene (no pun intended given binaries). :)

Anyway, currently using 6.82 and no issues to report, it works as expected. Over the years I've rarely ever had issues with NBP in all its varied versions, can't recall a time when it crashed but there were instances long ago where it would just tighten up like a Dodge Dart that hadn't leaked oil till the whole engine froze up something fierce but that was long long ago.

Just wondering what's going on for the future of Newsbin Pro given I haven't seen any betas come along since 6.82 - that's not to say I'm expecting anything seriously awesome over what NBP already is quite capable of. Now that I have a really decent workstation laptop which I'd been putting off for a while (picked up a nice ThinkPad W540 with an Intel i7-4930MX which was the best available process for it at the time of manufacture, and 32GB of RAM so it's maxed out, with a nice Intel enterprise class SSD too - got it used in near-mint condition for $250), I do a lot more stuff more efficiently since I had a machine that can power through most anything at a decent clip.

But I don't see much discussion happening about NBP for the future so I figured I'd pop in and pose the question and maybe stir up some discussion.

Hope the new year is going well for all of you, and that it'll be the best one for you yet.

Have fun, always...
The difference between genius and stupidity?
Genius has limits.
br0adband
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/03/05

Re: Any updates on v7 or ... anything at all? :)

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:57 pm

6.82 was release maybe a month ago. Right at this moment I'm working on improvements to the search engine. I have 7zip working too so it'll be in the next beta. At some point I have to replace the GUI with something more modern. Been working on that off and on too. The new code isn't really ready for beta yet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby br0adband » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:57 pm

Thanks for the update, and as always, thanks for being so responsive after all these years as well.

Have fun, always...
The difference between genius and stupidity?
Genius has limits.
br0adband
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/03/05

Postby buggs1a » Sat May 02, 2020 11:08 am

I want to second a new modern looking gui. One that has bigger text and cleaner all around. An example is the newshosting mac client gui is decent.
buggs1a
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/13/03

Return to General Discussion