Newsbin inop when VPN is active.

General NewsBin and Usenet related discussions. Make recommendations for additional specific discussion groups.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Newsbin inop when VPN is active.

Postby etete » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:24 pm

Was going to place this in the "Ask Quade..." sub-forum but it's advising I'm not permissioned. :-(

So, this really isn't a Newsbin specific problem seeing as Outlook will also not connect when SlickVPN is in use, just hoping I can get some insight from the helpful crowd here. As eluded to, whenever I activate SlickVPN (no matter which location is used) it automatically breaks internet connectivity of Newsbin and receiving operations of Outlook 2007. Seems to make no difference the order in which the apps are started or whether or not they're closed down and restarted. I have a number of other stand-alone apps that do not experience inability to connect with SlickVPN active.

Windows 7 Ultimate
Outlook 2007
Newsbin 6.80
Verizon Gigabit
Ethernet
Avast
Windows Firewall

I'd be happy to supply any additional info requested.

Thanks.
etete
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/19/12

Re: Newsbin inop when VPN is active.

Postby Quade » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:41 pm

Plenty of people use Newsbin through a VPN so I doubt this is a newsbin problem. Either the VPN is blocking the connection or the news server is blocking the connection at least temporarily because your IP address changed when you enabled the VPN.

Are you using a pay news server and if so which one? Both of your symptoms sounds like a "stops working because IP isn't local to the ISP" problem.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby etete » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:34 pm

Appreciate the reply!

Quade wrote:Plenty of people use Newsbin through a VPN so I doubt this is a newsbin problem.

Agree 100%.

Quade wrote:Either the VPN is blocking the connection or the news server is blocking the connection at least temporarily because your IP address changed when you enabled the VPN.

Are you using a pay news server and if so which one? Both of your symptoms sounds like a "stops working because IP isn't local to the ISP" problem.

Using NewsDemon and Usenet-News. I can enable the VPN prior to Newsbin and Outlook and still get no connection with those two apps. I've connected through numerous SlickVPN IPs both very local and distant with no success. Other download apps that I occasionally use such as Sonarr, Radarr, Deluge, JDownloader have experienced no blocking. As for Outlook also not being able to receive with the VPN enabled -- My research shows it to be most likely associated with those using Exchange, I can find nothing relating it to a standard POP account.

I'm continuing to reach out to SlickVPN for their insight.
etete
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby etete » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:58 pm

Not sure how I missed this in the SlickVPN FAQ but here is what they say about e-mail
Can I still use email and instant messages over your VPN?
Yes. We block outgoing mail (SMTP) but you can use webmail with no restrictions. Incoming mail is allowed. Instant messaging should work as normal.

So now that everything else works as expected this just leaves to question my inability to use Newsbin while SlickVPN is enabled. :scratched head:
etete
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:31 am

Sure sounds like you're being blocked. Just like SMTP. I'd probably see if the news server supports alternate ports. If it does, I'd try using them.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby etete » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:01 pm

Thanks Quade.

Newsdemon does support a number of ports for both SSL and non-SSL connections. I've tried every available port option with each of their nameservers, unfortunately no luck. As usual, Newsdemon is 100% non-responsive to e-mail, support tickets and telephone so they offer no insight.

Another thing I can verify is that it is an issue with NewsDemon only as Usenet-News does work, albeit slowly.

Again, I'll reiterate, I'm 100% sure this is not a Newsbin issue. Simply leaning on the insight of this forum. :wink:
etete
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:33 am

Another thing I can verify is that it is an issue with NewsDemon only as Usenet-News does work, albeit slowly.

A VPN will be slower. I wouldn't use one unless you really need to.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby etete » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:37 pm

Quade wrote:A VPN will be slower. I wouldn't use one unless you really need to.

For the most part I only use VPN when I have the odd torr to manage and it always seems to coincide with a spur-of-the-moment idea for a usenet download.

I just found something interesting while looking into the Windows Firewall white list -- I see there are two instances of Newsbin Pro 64. One is checked for "private" and not "public" while the other is checked "public" and not "private".

By the way, any idea why when I attempt to access the "Ask Quade" subforum I get "You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum."? Emoticons and attachments are also off limit to me.
etete
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:40 pm

By the way, any idea why when I attempt to access the "Ask Quade" subforum I get "You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum."? Emoticons and attachments are also off limit to me.

I'll ask Dex.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dexter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:45 pm

etete wrote:
Quade wrote:By the way, any idea why when I attempt to access the "Ask Quade" subforum I get "You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum."? Emoticons and attachments are also off limit to me.

Go under your forum profile and enter your Newsbin key. Some aspects of the forums are restricted to registered Newsbin users to get around spammers taking advantage of some forum features. We since implemented a different deterrent so maybe I should just open it up to everyone again.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby etete » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks for the heads-up.

Amazingly I located the key! Feels like it opened up the world to me. :lol:

Finally got a reply from NewsDemon which stated there should be no connectivity issue when using a VPN. They asked for a bit more info, which I supplied. Now we'll wait another week (or 2, or 3, if ever) for the follow-up.
etete
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby JCDinPGH » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:02 pm

I've noticed the same thing when connected via SlickVPN. Newsbin no longer seems to work at all. FWIW, I've been having lots of connection issues with SlickVPN lately. This has been going on for a few months. I don't know if their servers are overloaded but my torrents will work for a few seconds, and then completely go dead with no data movement at all. I've tried connecting to several of their servers, some closer and some remote but the issue remains. Also, once the connection goes dead, the client can't ever disconnect cleanly and I must reboot. Just trying to get 1 torrent, may take 5-10 reboots until the connection stays solid. Very frustrating.
JCDinPGH
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/22/03

Postby Quade » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Torrents use a shitload of connections typically which puts a decent amount of pressure on the VPN (the other end) because they have to broker every connection. Usenet on the other hand typically uses 5-10 connections. You can set it to use more but typically it's pointless to go beyond 10.

I'd say you've trouble-shot this down to "overloaded VPN".
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby JCDinPGH » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:48 pm

Yep. I agree. I'd gladly go back to usenet for my daily "fix" but because of the way things are being posted, it definitely isn't as easy. Obscured posts are definitely a problem. What do you must people do about obscured posts? That is the only reason I went back to a VPN and torrents. Just need a painless solution to obscured posts.

Quade wrote:Torrents use a shitload of connections typically which puts a decent amount of pressure on the VPN (the other end) because they have to broker every connection. Usenet on the other hand typically uses 5-10 connections. You can set it to use more but typically it's pointless to go beyond 10.

I'd say you've trouble-shot this down to "overloaded VPN".
JCDinPGH
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:19 pm

Our Search database is able to decipher some of the obfuscated posts. When you see contents in the greater than/less than symbols, i.e. <blah blah blah>, to the left of the obfuscated subject, that is inserted by our automated pre-processing logic. There are 4-5 different obfuscation schemes out there and we are looking to support more of them. You can give it a try by entering some keywords in the Search tab within Newsbin with it set to "Internet" mode. Searching is free but queuing search results for download requires a subscription.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JCDinPGH » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:16 pm

Unfortunately 99.9% of the things I search for only return the PAR2 files. I have had a subscription for many years and it has been great. Hopefully you guys can find more solutions for obfuscation as unfortunately right now, a subscription is almost useless for my needs (and I'm guessing others also), hence going back to torrents.

dexter wrote:Our Search database is able to decipher some of the obfuscated posts. When you see contents in the greater than/less than symbols, i.e. <blah blah blah>, to the left of the obfuscated subject, that is inserted by our automated pre-processing logic. There are 4-5 different obfuscation schemes out there and we are looking to support more of them. You can give it a try by entering some keywords in the Search tab within Newsbin with it set to "Internet" mode. Searching is free but queuing search results for download requires a subscription.
JCDinPGH
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Yeah, that style we do not support yet. We can figure out the subject for the PAR files but the associated RAR filenames are totally randomized and posted across many different newsgroups. The only way to put them together is with an NZB generated by the original poster. We have another idea that we are working on though.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion