Asking yet again

Make suggestions for new features.

Moderator: Quade

Asking yet again

Postby qelijahq » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:34 pm

I have asked for this before and I will continue to ask for it until something is done or I'm simply forced to find a better product. When a drive fills up, disconnects or anything at all that Newsbin doesn't agree with, it pops up the annoyingly persistent "Low Disk Space" window. With only one option to click..."Ok"....Can't check a box to ask it to go away until next start or anything else...Click "Ok" and it immediately comes back. Can't go to Newsbin and close it, because that damned window comes right back. Can't do anything but spend some time clearing space(which if you need to reboot immediately for something important, you can't....Or you have to go force quit newsbin to get rid of it. If I want to gracefully close Newsbin and deal with that later, No go. So I either spend time right then if I need to reboot or not allow Newsbin to close and save everything it needs to save. I know some of you will say "Don't let it fill up" and that's wonderful, but if you've been using Newsbin for as many years as I have, you've run into this issue at least once and it's obnoxious...Especially seeing it's such an easy solution for the programmers to fix. Give me a damned check box that allows me to stop the popup from being persistent until a restart of the software. Here's the current issue I'm forced to deal with. The drive I have set for my storage drive has, for some reason, disconnected from my machine overnight. Don't know why yet, but I need to restart the machine. Newsbin is physically located on a different drive, so I just need to shut it down, let it save its settings and my download cache so I can restart. Can't just shut it down, though since that persistent box stops me from doing it and there's no way I could fix the drive space issue since I can't even see the drive. Yet another forced shutdown of newsbin is required which means there are going to be things that get lost. There have been at least 20 different scenarios over the years that aren't going to be solved by simply not allowing a drive to get full, so this needs to be fixed. Please, please, please fix this so it's somewhat user friendly. I have never seen ANY other software out there that traps you to a point you can't even close the software to get other things done.
qelijahq
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/02/03

Re: Asking yet again

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:05 am

What version are you using? If you just leave Newsbin alone, then fix the problem, the popup should just go away on it's own.

The problem with you clicking it away is that if you don't solve the problem you'll also lose data. It's kinda of a damned if you do, damned if you don't problem.

I was thinking about removing the popup for the download folder since it's checked other ways these days. Running out of space in the data folder is potentially catastrophic.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Ortiz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:15 am

This is an issue hat has been annoying to me as well. I've found that the low disk space alerts will queue up. (Currently using 6.81 build 5080) So, if I clear 50 GB from the disk, the low disk space message will go away, then it will come back. I'll have to wait 20 minutes for all of the dialog boxes to display and clear.

I've seen another application employ a more elegant solution for handling low disk space in the download folder. When the threshold is hit, it pauses the downloads and unrars, then displays a dialog box. The user is free to dismiss the dialog box. The downloads and unrars stay paused. If the user tries to manually resume one of those activities, the dialog will be displayed again. Otherwise, the user is free to close the application or work in other parts of the application.
Ortiz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Ortiz » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:16 pm

Disk space alerts still queue up in 6.82.5142. Upon resolving the low disk space problem, the application can be unusable for several minutes as it displays and clears all of the queued up messages.
Ortiz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:50 am

Thanks for the report. The popup will be gone in the next beta. Newsbin will just stall when it runs out of disk space.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Ortiz » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:28 pm

I don't see anything in the 6.90 Beta 1 release notes about this. Is it an unlisted item, or did it get pushed?
Ortiz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to Feature Requests