Version 6.70 Beta 10 Available...

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Version 6.70 Beta 10 Available...

Postby dexter » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:05 pm

Version 6.70 Beta 10 is ready for more eyes on it.

Here are the changes:

• Fixed issue where the selected item size was incorrect when selecting expanded file entries in post list.
  • Fixed issue where header downloads sometimes show two partial files when new data is loaded.
  • Fixed issue where changing the sonarr unrar path wasn't taking immediate effect
  • Fixed the "Show posts older" feature. Was broken.
  • Made the search entry field wider in files list.
  • Hooked up search history in files list.
  • Tuning of partial download assembly and autopar for handling certain odd cases better.
  • Improved how new headers from a fresh header download are displayed.
  • Switched back to 1024 for free space calculation to better match what windows reports. Hard drive manufacturers are using 1000.
  • Changed description on options dialog for Remote NZB to clarify use of either API key OR Username/Password, not both.
  • Made change so closing group properties now triggers an NBI Save.
  • Added configuration item for the auto assembly threshold in the .nbi file. In the [AUTORAR] section, it is the "AssembleThreshold" variable. Default is 95%.

The download link is on the Newsbin Beta Page. Any questions, comments, or bug reports can be made by replying to this thread or by using the Technical Support Contact Form.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Version 6.70 Beta 10 Available...

Postby enchant » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:35 pm

Can we really trust a version that's released on April 1st?

;)
enchant
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/14/10

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:16 pm

It's funny, Dex said the same thing. I hate April fools day so I'd never do that to you.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Voyager62 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:45 pm

Just noticed these problems in Beta 9 today, saw you put up 10 and tried it and they still exist. I'm not sure how your PAR dlls work, but with QuickPAR, you can only select to delete PARS after a repair. If Newsbin manually deletes it manually after verification, why doesn't it delete the now useless SFV file? I've rarely seen an SFV file for the contents of an archive outside it or named the same as the PAR files. Anyway, I had forgotten that many posts include the SFV file in the PAR set and set a filter to reject them. I then noticed it was taking Newsbin a long time to complete the files in the download list. I expanded the ones that looked like they were paused and noticed that even though only 1 block was needed, Newsbin would always download the PAR file with 4 blocks. Okay, not so bad, 75% waste but they were small parts. Then, after doing that for a few posts, Newsbin started downloading not only the PAR file with 4 blocks, but every other larger PAR file. Now I'm wasting almost an additional 10% bandwidth downloading PAR files that aren't needed. I tried to force Newsbin to only download the PAR file with 1 block by selecting the rest of the PAR files and deleting them from the list, but this ended up deleting the entire post. I also tried to move them to the Wish List with the same result.

Why can't individual parts be deleted and can you add an option to delete the SFV file after extraction?
Voyager62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/29/04

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:58 pm

why doesn't it delete the now useless SFV file?

The SFV is a useless file. It's not used for repair in any way. That said some people want it and the SRR files so Newsbin isn't going to delete them on its own. If you want to delete the SFV and other junk files, make a "Post UnRAR" filter and assign it in the autopar options. Add "Filename Reject" filters for the files you want it to delete

[.]SFV
[.]NFO
[.]SRR

And so on.

I don't know about your other issue. If it needs to repair, it always downloads more repair blocks than it needs in case the PAR files are damaged. That's just how it works.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Voyager62 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:09 pm

If you want to delete the SFV and other junk files, make a "Post UnRAR" filter and assign it in the autopar options. Add "Filename Reject" filters for the files you want it to delete.

Okay, that sounds good, I didn't know about that option. The SRR file is the only one needed to recreate everything.

If it needs to repair, it always downloads more repair blocks than it needs in case the PAR files are damaged. That's just how it works.

That is a little wasteful, especially if the PARS are created with a large block size. When I had AutoPAR enabled in V5, I seem to remember it started with the smallest and worked it's way up until there were enough blocks.
But then why does it decide to download not only the file with 4 blocks, but also 8, 16 and 32 (the largest one in the post)?

What about being able to delete parts of a post without deleting the entire post? Is there an option for that?
Voyager62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:18 pm

What about being able to delete parts of a post without deleting the entire post? Is there an option for that?

No option for that. You're just supposed to leave it alone and let it work. What are you running into? Incomplete or just damaged files?

Newsbin goes into "something is wrong" mode if it finishes retries and the set's not repaired or unraring. It'll unpause more PARS. I suspect that's what you're seeing. You could try making the retry count "3" instead of the default 2. That'll slow down the automatic PAR file unpausing. It also delays re-assembly of badly damaged files so, you might need to decide what's more important. Having Newsbin automatically assemble damaged files or trying to save some bandwidth. They'll still assemble. It'll just take longer.

This only applies to damaged files. Regular files that download with no errors aren't impacted by the retry count.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Voyager62 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:23 pm

What are you running into? Incomplete or just damaged files?

No, I mistakenly filtered out the SFV file and noticed it wasn't just downloading the PAR file with 1 block, it was downloading the file with 4 blocks and then it started downloading everything above 4 blocks.
I have retries turned off because it seemed to take forever to go though them and usually without any luck.
Voyager62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:55 pm

I have retries turned off because it seemed to take forever to go though them and usually without any luck.

You're probably causing it to download PARS then. I'd set it to at least 2.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby stavros » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:28 am

Hi,

in beta 10, when downloading headers, the download description in the downloading files tab shows the server name - group name twice for each group entry. e.g.
Download Headers:ServerName - group.nameServerName - group.name
I think that this is just cosmetic, as the headers are loaded ok.
I checked and it also happens in beta 9.

regards
Stavros.
stavros
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/24/03

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:23 am

I see it. Thanks. Yeah it's cosmetic.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby JanJonkman » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:27 am

Hi there,

In b10 incomplete files are now assembled. In b9 that was not an issue. Now i have to reload the at that moment incompletes manually the next day when they are complete

Regards

Jan

Ps.

is there a list of the nbi options?
JanJonkman
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/10/10

Postby BZee » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:51 am

dexter wrote:Version 6.70 Beta 10 is ready for more eyes on it.
[*]Switched back to 1024 for free space calculation to better match what windows reports. Hard drive manufacturers are using 1000.

1. (for info only) I still see the free space available in the download folder is larger than the entire drive.
2. "Selected Data count and size" shows the size but the count remains at (0). I frequently look at the count.
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/13/03

Postby BZee » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:33 am

Still beta 10

Did a "Test Download Files" on a RAR files (no Pars). I didn't watch the test but when I looked later status was 100% 104 of 104. Did "Retry Download" and the File's "Current Progress:" filled up with server colors and red blocks. Shortly after it finished Newsbin automatically assembled the file (my retries are set to 4) - tested the assembled file with WinRAR --> corrupt. Redid "Test Download Files" on it. "Current Progress:" went to 84 of 104 with servo colors and red blocks, but after a few seconds it changed to 104 of 104 and all gray blocks which fooled me into thinking it was a good file.

Going back to beta 9 because of this and number 2 above.
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:17 am

1 - "Test Download" just checks for availability of the data, it's not a quality test. These days downloading something without PARS is a crap-shoot. B9 is no different.

2 - I see the selected count thing too in a post list. Shows the count properly in the download list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Bismark » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:26 pm

Sort by status is still not working. Let me describe the issues with this problem.

In the past few days, someone has been posting crap posts at a rate of over 100,000 posts a day under many different posters.

There is a pattern in the poster name, so the crap posts can be marked using a Global filter as "Poster Filtered" (However some of these are marked "Subject Reject" that satisfy the Poster filter, but for some reason, "Subject Reject" is of higher priority, this should not be the case. If a post is poster filtered, who cares what is in it?)

One would like a filter that selected "Poster Filtered," but none seems to be available, so the only way to get rid of the crap posts, is to use sort by status and then find the many sets of posts that sort into disjointed sets manually and delete them. Takes about 15-20 minutes per group.

Since there are so many of these, they need to be removed from the system, or NB slows down and the database gets very large

Ideally, one would like to be able to use the poster filter on these crap posts in such a way as the filter would not apply to the body of the posts. Then the filter could be applied, a select all executed and all the crap deleted

I'm not sure is this is the place to make this request, but it is surely the case that Sort by Status does not work.

Thanks for the time to consider this issue.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/27/10

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:41 pm

One would like a filter that selected "Poster Filtered," but none seems to be available, so the only way to get rid of the crap posts, is to use sort by status and then find the many sets of posts that sort into disjointed sets manually and delete them. Takes about 15-20 minutes per group.

Since you see "Poster Filtered" it sounds like you haven't turned the filters on to actually filter them out. It's the power looking button.

Have you considered filtering IN the posters and subjects you like and not trying to filter the spammers out? Filtering the spammers out will always be a losing game because they can make arbitrary changes to the subject and poster fields. You're better off filtering in what you want to see.

Since there are so many of these, they need to be removed from the system, or NB slows down and the database gets very large

They don't bother me much because I have a limited "Display Age" so I don't load much of the group up in one go. I can always load up old posts after the fact if I need to or use local search.

Ideally, one would like to be able to use the poster filter on these crap posts in such a way as the filter would not apply to the body of the posts. Then the filter could be applied, a select all executed and all the crap deleted

You can already do that with a filter profile.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby thedemonone » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:08 pm

KeepFilestamp option in the .nbi doesn't appear to be honored. No matter which option I chose (=1 or =0), unrared files all have their original datetime, not the datetime that they are unrared.

I tried in B9 and B10
thedemonone
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/14/10

Postby Quade » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:34 pm

Have you tried the option in the options? You might be right but, I'd try the real setting in the autopar options first.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby thedemonone » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:35 pm

I removed the setting in the .nbi and ensured that the setting was unchecked in Options --> AutoPAR Options (Use internal RAR timestamps. Unchecked uses today's date). Either checked or unchecked, it uses the datetime from the RAR...not the datetime of when it is unrared (which is what I want).

Thanks!
thedemonone
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:12 pm

You know every file has multiple timestamps right? Typically even when it's not set to use the unrar time, one of the two timestamps is set to now and one to the rar timestamp.

You can turn on the other timestamp in explorer by right clicking the column heder.

I'll check out the option anyway thanks.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby thedemonone » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:45 pm

Yep. I have both Date Modified and Date Created turned on in Explorer. Both are indicating the same datetime.
thedemonone
n00b
n00b

Postby Eurisko » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:45 am

It appears Beta 10 broke Sonarr support again. Going back to 9 and it starts working. I manually trigger them to test and Beta 10 doesn't seem to do anything.
Eurisko
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/02/03

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:03 am

Yeah sorry. I was just looking at it this morning. Thanks.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Moondawgie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:28 pm

This likely affects only me, but...

While still running Version 6.70 Beta 9, the HTML links in the MOTD which appeared this morning announcing the availability of Newsbin Pro Version 6.70 Beta 10 are inaccessible to me. There is no response when I hover my mouse over them and left click. And the OK button works normally.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Insider Preview Build 14295, and using the Google Chrome Internet Browser 49.0.2623.100 m (64-bit). I've no problem accessing/using any other HTML links displayed by other applications.

It it's just me reporting this very minor problem, please accept this as merely a report, and put it on the backburner.

Incidentally, I've reached a point where I believe that this latest build of Newsbin Pro is the best ever! There are still a few minor annoyances, but overall it works splendidly. Thank you for continuing to provide and support it, while continuing to make improvements.
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Postby kirm » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:26 pm

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Insider Preview Build 14295

I am running this build on a laptop and also in a VM. I have come across several issues with this build, as for compatibility. Have not tried newsbin on this, but most likely just a windows issue. Hope you are not using insider preview as your main system. It is quite buggy. Build 14291 was far more stable than this build.

Kirm
kirm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/15/03

Postby EvanVanVan2 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:58 pm

Are par assemblies taking an incredibly long time for anyone else in B9 and B10? I first noticed it in B9 but since B10 was out by that point I didn't say anything until I was able to confirm it was still an issue, but my pars download and then can take 5-10 minutes to assemble *each*. They download fine, all 10-15 pars download fully according to the "Size" section, but the "Current Progress" stays blank and they don't appear in the downloads folder. After 5-10 minutes, the first par shows up in the download folder, another 5-10 minutes the second par appears, etc.
EvanVanVan2
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/12/10

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:12 pm

Files don't assemble while a file unrar or repair is happening. So, if you have a repair or unraring going at the same time, this is normal. On the other hand if you don't then I don't know.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby slee » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:14 am

Upgraded from 6.62 to 6.70 Beta 10 and now most files say "Too Small" under status. Was this not a safe upgrade path? What do I do now?

As always...thank you!
slee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/18/01

Postby BZee » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:30 am

BZee wrote:Still beta 10

Did a "Test Download Files" on a RAR files (no Pars). I didn't watch the test but when I looked later status was 100% 104 of 104. Did "Retry Download" and the File's "Current Progress:" filled up with server colors and red blocks. Shortly after it finished Newsbin automatically assembled the file (my retries are set to 4) - tested the assembled file with WinRAR --> corrupt. Redid "Test Download Files" on it. "Current Progress:" went to 84 of 104 with servo colors and red blocks, but after a few seconds it changed to 104 of 104 and all gray blocks which fooled me into thinking it was a good file.

Going back to beta 9 because of this and number 2 above.

Quade wrote:1 - "Test Download" just checks for availability of the data, it's not a quality test. These days downloading something without PARS is a crap-shoot. B9 is no different.

2 - I see the selected count thing too in a post list. Shows the count properly in the download list.

Tried beta 10 again - a RAR post with 35 files and 7 pars. Test download on beta 10 showed completion of 100% 209 of 209 so I did a retry download. After all files/pars were downloaded and incompletes assembled it still needed 122 more blocks. Tried test download on the same post using beta 9 - completion was shown as 71% 150 of 209. I wouldn't even attempt to download a file like this.
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:15 am

Tried beta 10 again - a RAR post with 35 files and 7 pars. Test download on beta 10 showed completion of 100% 209 of 209 so I did a retry download. After all files/pars were downloaded and incompletes assembled it still needed 122 more blocks. Tried test download on the same post using beta 9 - completion was shown as 71% 150 of 209. I wouldn't even attempt to download a file like this.

What server are you using? How new was the file?

I think you're expecting too much of "test download". It tells you if a set of files can be downloaded 100% right at that instant of time. Depending on what you download, the time it takes to test could be the difference between getting the file and not getting it. If you see it test download clean, and then the actual download shows 430 errors. That's what I'd suspect.

I'm just guessing from your symptoms. If you're trying some file set that's prone to being removed and it's pretty new. You may just want to download and forego the "test". If you're downloading something a bit older, then "testing" might be more accurate because the removal time has already passed.

I will look at "Test Download" and see if anything is up.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:23 am

Ok I looked at "Test Download" in B10 and it seems to be working fine. That makes me suspect my theory is correct.

Edit: The test is "assembling incomplete". So, it's not accurate after the first retry. Oh well. Thanks for the report.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Brian B » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:37 pm

I'm getting this error:
C:\Users\B\AppData\Local\Temp\eXggYZDf.exe.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator.

Any ideas?

Brian
Brian B
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/29/04

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:36 pm

Looks like spam to me. Wonder if it's your security software blocking it?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Brian B » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:36 pm

Quade wrote:Looks like spam to me. Wonder if it's your security software blocking it?

I am using a free version of BitDefender and turned it off, but same message. I copied the d/l link into Firefox and get the same message.

Also, I have noticed that for some reason the link also opens I.E. rather than my default browser. It has been doing this over the last few beta downloads.

Any other ideas?

B.
Brian B
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:34 pm

I'm not clear where you're seeing this error message. It's not a message from within Newsbin. Your talk of "IE" implies it's a web browser message like a search error message.

It doesn't seem like a download message at all. The fact it mentions an encode EXE file is in itself suspicious.

So what are the circumstances where you see this message?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby slee » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:50 pm

slee wrote:Upgraded from 6.62 to 6.70 Beta 10 and now most files say "Too Small" under status. Was this not a safe upgrade path? What do I do now?

As always...thank you!

Any thoughts on this??
slee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:29 pm

Do you want to hide them? To hide them, you have to turn the filters on.

It's the power looking button on the post list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Brian B » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:39 pm

Quade wrote:I'm not clear where you're seeing this error message. It's not a message from within Newsbin. Your talk of "IE" implies it's a web browser message like a search error message.

It doesn't seem like a download message at all. The fact it mentions an encode EXE file is in itself suspicious.

So what are the circumstances where you see this message?

How do I attach an image? I can show you...as soon as I click the beta download link it opens 1 window to save the new nb...exe file (like always) and then that second window pops up with "Opening nb..exe" as the header.

B.
Brian B
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:44 pm

How do I attach an image? I can show you...as soon as I click the beta download link it opens 1 window to save the new nb...exe file (like always) and then that second window pops up with "Opening nb..exe" as the header.

I get it. This isn't really a Newsbin problem then. It's a problem downloading the beta.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby slee » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:39 am

Quade wrote:Do you want to hide them? To hide them, you have to turn the filters on.

It's the power looking button on the post list.

I know how to filter them. The problem is, these were all completely fine until I did the upgrade. Now almost everything in the group shows "Too Small", whereas, before the upgrade they were fine.
slee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:08 am

Brian B wrote:I'm getting this error:
C:\Users\B\AppData\Local\Temp\eXggYZDf.exe.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Any ideas?

Brian

Sounds like a conflict with your browser. Try using this direct link: http://www.newsbin.com/downloads/nb670B10.exe
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Quade » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:23 am

1 - Look in the global filters and see if you have a filter set.

2 - Look to see if you have a filter assigned to the group (in the group properties and group parent properties) and check that filter.

It's pulling a size filter from somewhere. You just need to figure out where.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Brian B » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:07 pm

dexter wrote:
Brian B wrote:I'm getting this error:

Any ideas?

Brian

Sounds like a conflict with your browser. Try using this direct link: http://www.newsbin.com/downloads/nb670B10.exe

Yes. That worked no problem. Thanks!!

Brian
Brian B
n00b
n00b

Postby slee » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:21 pm

Quade wrote:1 - Look in the global filters and see if you have a filter set.

2 - Look to see if you have a filter assigned to the group (in the group properties and group parent properties) and check that filter.

It's pulling a size filter from somewhere. You just need to figure out where.

I don't normally use filters. The filter is not enabled (the green power button), the use profile is not checked for the new group nor the group parent.
slee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:40 pm

I don't normally use filters. The filter is not enabled (the green power button), the use profile is not checked for the new group nor the group parent.

In the post list, enable the filters, then make sure the size filters are reset back to "None" then disable the filters again. I can make is say "Too Small" by setting a size filter then disabling the filters.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby slee » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:38 am

Quade wrote:

In the post list, enable the filters, then make sure the size filters are reset back to "None" then disable the filters again. I can make is say "Too Small" by setting a size filter then disabling the filters.

That worked!! I knew you'd figure it out. Thanks...
slee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby astrax » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi there,
I just switched to 6.70B10 and have a couple of issues. Don't know, if it's corrupted data, files etc. on my part, or if it's a bug in the new beta.

1. Failed files don't get marked as they used to.
They appear in the "failed files" tab (with the red exclamation mark icon), but only get marked as "old" in the group window (and still have the blue "P" icon).

2. Closing NB
I experienced this twice: when I clicked File -> Exit to shut down NB, whatever group tabs where open, closed and it seemed the program window closed, but then it reappeared, with no group tabs open, downloads PAUSED, but no DLs in the DL window.
I closed the window again but it took a while until it finally really closed. Seemed something was going on still in the background. :roll:

I also get a lot of "Display update pending" entries in the download window...

thx.
astrax
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/10

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support