Display update pending and no loading screen?

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Display update pending and no loading screen?

Postby shompa » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:18 pm

Hello did an upgrade to 6.7b5. /win10
Did my usual thing: "download all headers" from a group. 280 million headers. (with add all to download).

The problem: The download list is like:
"Display update pending" and extremely slow downloads.
Logging tab are full of "always chunk filter. HFC duplicate detector"

I cant sort the list after size, sine its "Display update pending"

My guess it have to do with something with memory/to many headers. Newsbin takes about 12 gig memory and the system uses a 4 gig swap for newsbin (16gig system).
I have done the same insane download all headers on 6,6 and had not this problem, only that it took about 6 hours to start newsbin because of the insane dl list.

And that is the other "problem" with 6.7b5: On 6.6 there was a window showing progress loading dl list in newsbin. No such thing in 6.7b. The program is just unresponsive for 6 hours loading the 5 gig large dl list. (I can see the newsbin process running and using 30-40MB/sec disk)

So: Display update pending, what is that?
Thanks?
shompa
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/21/03

Re: Display update pending and no loading screen?

Postby Quade » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:34 pm

You know the story about the guy who would beat himself in the head with a hammer? When his friend asked him "Why are you hitting yourself in the head with a hammer?". His reply was "Because it feels so good when I stop".

That's sort of how I feel about this. You're bashing yourself in the head with a hammer.

1 - I'd go into the options and select "Open Data Folder". Then I'd exit Newsbin.

2 - I'd go into the "Import" folder and delete all the GZ files you find there.

3 - Then delete "DownloadsV2.db3". This will delete the download list.

4 - Then I'd pick each group you download from, right click "Properties" and put them into "Automatic Download" Mode.

5 - Then when you start Newsbin hit the "Update" button which is the 3rd one from the left on the main toolbar. This will make Newsbin download the latest headers and because you're in "Automatic" mode it'll add all the new files to the download list. You can set Newsbin to download headers automatically too so you don't have to mess with downloading them by hand.

I basically don't support your current download mode. You seem to be downloading the same headers over and over and adding the same files over and over to the download list. You know the old headers NEVER change right? So, if you're doing this to the same group day after day, you're just re-downloading TB's of headers every day and failing to download TB's of files you've already downloaded.

1 - Old headers never change so It's kinda pointless to download them over again.

2 - Old files in the group never change. If the groups is active. New files get added every day.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Display update pending and no loading screen?

Postby shompa » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:36 pm

wow.
Thanks. Total brainfart from my side DL same headers multiple times.
shompa
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/21/03

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support