Insufficient space bug

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Insufficient space bug

Postby re838uk » Tue May 08, 2012 8:17 pm

http://i.imgur.com/AjLFk.png

I get this bug in the previous release and in the latest release. The insufficient space message pops up despite there being more than enough space in the default location of newsbin (C:\) and in the partitioned D:\ drive where the majority of the downloads in my list end up. It occurs randomly and haven't pinpointed anything that can reproduce it.
re838uk
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/19/09

Re: Insufficient space bug

Postby Quade » Tue May 08, 2012 9:49 pm

I see zero for the download folder free space. You can see it on the bottom on the status bar. It's checking the download folder speced in the particular file download. Newsbin checks space twice before it declares a problem. You might want to run procmon and watch newsbin checking space. I'll bet you see windows return 0 and Newsbin just reports that.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby re838uk » Tue May 08, 2012 10:36 pm

But why would the program display 0, even though it's got over 400GB/600GB free space on the C/D partitions respectively (as shown in the right side window)?. As soon as I close the popup window as I have done in the screenshot, the 0 value dissappears shortly after (not shown) and is replaced by the correct value.
re838uk
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue May 08, 2012 10:43 pm

I don't know, that's why you dig out procmon and watch what happens when this goes on. Last person this happened to, and the reason I check twice now, documented windows occasionally lying about how much free space there was. It would return 0 and then the next call it would return the correct size. There was something wrong with his PC and there was no way for me to know what it was.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby re838uk » Tue May 08, 2012 11:56 pm

Not sure if this is the info you want, it's the only thing I can see that might be relevant.

Both of these are the last process before I stopped capturing. They happened at the same time spaced a fraction of a second difference.

Code: Select all
QueryFullSizeInformationVolume
RESULT: SUCCESS
TotalAllocationUnits:   244,164,095
CallerAvailableAllocationUnits:   123,173,699
ActualAvailableAllocationUnits:   123,173,699
SectorsPerAllocationUnit:   8
BytesPerSector:   512

QueryFullSizeInformationVolume
RESULT: SUCCESS
TotalAllocationUnits:   244,164,095
CallerAvailableAllocationUnits:   5,951
ActualAvailableAllocationUnits:   5,951
SectorsPerAllocationUnit:   8
BytesPerSector:   512
re838uk
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Wed May 09, 2012 1:06 am

Looks like it. Second one says "no available space". Looks like the same drive and everything. The check in Newsbin looks for zero space. It only checks once if the returned size isn't zero.

Either your disk really is going from lots of free space to next to none in an instant or there's something up with the disk drive. Basically it looks like windows lies to Newsbin.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby DThor » Wed May 09, 2012 8:00 am

I still see this occasionally (twice in as many months), and I have plenty of space (150-200G). It does indeed appear to be some sort of mis-reporting by windows to an application query. Both times in recent memory I do know I was actively doing something else on the system that involved IO, but unsure if that's related. If you Google around for it, you'll see tons of references to incorrect free space being reported, and in addition to the endless 'you must be doing something wrong' responses, and the instances of the crappy ntfs spec that resulted in hidden and locked folders a terabyte in size, you'll still find cases that are left unexplained

Not sure how best to deal with it, for me it's so rare I just tack it down to another windows annoyance since it's harmless. If it wasn't harmless somehow(maybe for power downloaders that have newsbin running constantly) maybe an option to increase the wait time between the two queries? I've always assumed it's a timing thing.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Wed May 09, 2012 9:24 am

I could always check twice and then take the largest of the two I guess.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Quade » Wed May 09, 2012 12:08 pm

Changed to the code to always check twice and return the max size found.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby re838uk » Mon May 14, 2012 12:48 pm

Is it normal for the program to do space checks when it's paused?. Because I get the messages even after I've paused it.
As a side question, is it possible to add two options to the popup message. An OK button to tell it you've read the low space message but not neccessarily start the downloads, and a Resume downloads button to continue as it were.
re838uk
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Ace » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:46 pm

re838uk wrote:Is it normal for the program to do space checks when it's paused?. Because I get the messages even after I've paused it.
As a side question, is it possible to add two options to the popup message. An OK button to tell it you've read the low space message but not neccessarily start the downloads, and a Resume downloads button to continue as it were.

I'd like to second re838uk's requests after testing 6.40B2.

When I get the low disk space warning (the proper warning, not talking about the windows reporting problem here that started this thread), the popup message that comes up and pauses it is fine.

It's what happens when you clear the low disk space warning that isn't good. Instead of clearing the message, and just staying paused (which is what happens with an older version of Newsbin), you get an endless loop of popup error messages.

I think the default should be for the user to not get an endless loop of popups. The download should pause, and should just stay paused when you clear the error message. It's a little easier to free up some disk space when Newsbin isn't throwing a new popup error message at you every time you clear the old one.

By the way, the colored highlights in the lower right corner to show when paused (and speed limited) are absolutely fantastic!!! And it's partly because those indicators stand out so well that I can tell it's paused without the popup repeatedly occurring to remind me.

If you try to unpause it without clearing some disk space, then the popup should occur again, but I agree with re838uk, that pausing should disable the low disk space popups (but it doesn't on 6.40B2, it does on my older Newsbin though).
Ace
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/19/03

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support