missing par2 file not fixed in beta 6

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

missing par2 file not fixed in beta 6

Postby mednzb » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:31 pm

I can not find my previous thread so I hope quade you will remember me I told you about the download just pausing when the par2 is missing and all par files are damaged, It looked to me from the B6 release notes you thought you fixed the issue B6 does download the par2 and assembles it then newsbin goes on to the next par file and it never assembles the file just pauses again and the download never completes
mednzb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/05/05

Re: missing par2 file not fixed in beta 6

Postby Quade » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:59 pm

1 - Look in the install folder and see if the par2dll is there.

2 - What OS are you using?

3 - Newsbin doesn't depend on the par dll to parse out the PAR file so, even if the DLL is missing it'll have no affect on the downloaded PAR files.

4 - How are the PARS corrupt? What does quickpar say when you feed the PAR into it?

5 - I tested before release a set of files that had bad PAR files. It downloaded all the files, and then unrared the files successfully. It really sounds like everything you download is corrupted, the pars and the RAR's. Can you unrar them with WinRAR?

I'm not convinced there's a problem in Newsbin yet. As part of release testing. I downloaded 60 gigs of files from my test server, including numerous damaged and problem files like the bad par files. They all downloaded correctly so, I think we're going to have to dig in deeper. First thing to check is what QuickPar and WinRAR say about these files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mednzb » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Quade wrote:1 - Look in the install folder and see if the par2dll is there.

2 - What OS are you using?

3 - Newsbin doesn't depend on the par dll to parse out the PAR file so, even if the DLL is missing it'll have no affect on the downloaded PAR files.

4 - How are the PARS corrupt? What does quickpar say when you feed the PAR into it?

5 - I tested before release a set of files that had bad PAR files. It downloaded all the files, and then unrared the files successfully. It really sounds like everything you download is corrupted, the pars and the RAR's. Can you unrar them with WinRAR?

I'm not convinced there's a problem in Newsbin yet. As part of release testing. I downloaded 60 gigs of files from my test server, including numerous damaged and problem files like the bad par files. They all downloaded correctly so, I think we're going to have to dig in deeper. First thing to check is what QuickPar and WinRAR say about these files.

I am using win7 64
this morning i downloaded two nzbs that i knew had this issue it was caused by giganews. The first file had a par2 file but no other pars to download newsbin tried to download the missing par2 file as usual than it assembled it and the download started downloading as normal. The other nzb file i tried had a par2 file along with 8 par files newsbin tried to dl the missing par2 file than it assembled it and went on to the next par file it was incomplete also of course but newsbin never tried to assemble it an download was just stuck never tried to move on.
Last edited by mednzb on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mednzb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:30 pm

Dude, there's a reason William Caxton invented the period! I think you need to PM Quade the nzb files.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:57 pm

Not really following you.

Better news though is I looked at the bad pars and think I can actually fix the par so, that Newsbin and quickpar can use them. It's going to be interesting, repairing bad repair files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mednzb » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Quade wrote:Not really following you.

Better news though is I looked at the bad pars and think I can actually fix the par so, that Newsbin and quickpar can use them. It's going to be interesting, repairing bad repair files.

I am sorry I am not doing the best job in explaining the issue my usenet provider removes par2 files and removes a a chunk of every part of the multipart article. Beta 6 will try and download the missing par2 file after trying and failing to get the par2 file it will just go grey. If there are no other parity files besides the par2 file newsbin will unpause the rest of the files in the downloadlist and continue as a normal download. If a download is missing the par2 and has missing or damaged par files newsbin first tries to download the par2 file it fails and goes grey then it tries the next par files which is damaged and that file does not go grey and nothing else happens it just sits there.
Last edited by mednzb on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mednzb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:01 pm

Version B6 should unpause and download the entire set. It still might not be repairable though.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mednzb » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:15 pm

Quade wrote:Version B6 should unpause and download the entire set. It still might not be repairable though.

I completely uninstalled newsbin and reinstalled it and it does seem to be downloading as it should
mednzb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby mednzb » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:57 pm

Thanks for your help sorry i wasn't able to explain the issue better
mednzb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby mednzb » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:56 pm

DThor wrote:Dude, there's a reason William Caxton invented the period! I think you need to PM Quade the nzb files.

DT

fill free to correct it if you care so much
mednzb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:18 pm

P.S. I didn't mention it because I'm anal about grammar(although, I sort of am), but whether you care to admit it or not, your messages are twice as hard to parse as they need to be. As someone looking for answers to questions, I would think making yourself understood is in your own best interest.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Turns out they're not fixable. The bad pars are missing half the file data. This is a different problem than yours Med.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support