par2 files download priority

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

par2 files download priority

Postby thuvia » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:21 pm

The 6.01B1 release notes say: "When adding sets to download, now always sorts the par files above the rest of the files."

This doesn't seem to work for me (I generally download or create .nzb files from the post list, and load those). I normally have AutoPAR disabled, but I tried it enabled to see if that made a difference: nope.
thuvia
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/01/06

Re: par2 files download priority

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:54 pm

If you have sets that don't fully compact, say the pars are in a separate block of files AND you don't get at least one par to download first. Cleanup didn't always happen. So, when adding blocks of files manually, the pars go first if they happen to be split out of the pack.

If your sets combine rars and pars into a single block of files, nothing has changed. I think this line applies to you thuvia.

I'll be honest, Newsbin was designed to run with autopar turned on. I've given no thought to those of you who turn it off. Sure I can add support for you as time passes but, it's not there now. So when people tell me something's going on but, autopar is turned off, I note it for future work but, that's about it. I think 5.59 is a better version for people who disable autopar at least for now. Shoving the pars into the wish list gives you access to them at some later time. 6 will just try to download them all.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: par2 files download priority

Postby thuvia » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Well, I decided yesterday to commit to V6 and deleted my SPOOL_V1...

You'll no doubt have seen me moan about several problems I've encountered whenever I've attempted to turn AutoPAR on with 6.0 (locked .nb2 files, unneeded PARs being downloaded, completed downloads not being removed from the download list, etc.) - I really have tried to give it a go, but it just won't co-operate with me and I've been putting up with the extra PAR downloads and waiting for the .par2 rather than spend the energy debugging AutoPAR problems (I have a software background, but my energy is limited due to health issues).

However, I'll try to find the motivation to get things working properly the V6 way (despite having my doubts about the all-singing, all-dancing application philosophy, as opposed to my preference: leave the user in charge) - I know you'll be here to help when I do!
thuvia
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/01/06

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support