Header downloads from multiple servers

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Header downloads from multiple servers

Postby sandarian » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:32 pm

I was wondering if it is possible to have an option where if you have two different usenet providers that only the new headers will be downloaded instead of each server having its own set of headers. I have some newsgroups that aren't supported by one of my usenet providers so I have to manually enable my other server to update a particular newsgroup and then disable it again with the "don't download headers from this server option".
sandarian
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/08/09

Re: Header downloads from multiple servers

Postby JsFrk » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:55 pm

If your using an NZB then it tends to be premade from one goup so what I do is use the search and type in the group that works for you then search for the files
JsFrk
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/27/11

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:51 pm

I was wondering if it is possible to have an option where if you have two different usenet providers that only the new headers will be downloaded instead of each server having its own set of headers. I have some newsgroups that aren't supported by one of my usenet providers so I have to manually enable my other server to update a particular newsgroup and then disable it again with the "don't download headers from this server option".

There is only one header DB in 6. All the headers you download from your server are stored in a single place per group. It's not clear to me what you're really asking for though. You can pick which server to download headers from, one or both. I download headers from Giganews and files from a couple different servers.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mho » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:49 pm

Quade wrote:It's not clear to me what you're really asking for though. You can pick which server to download headers from, one or both.

I think what he wants is a _per-group_ slave setting. If he usually does headers from one server, it's wasteful to do it from the other, just to get a group that the first server does not carry. If he can say "Don't get headers from this server except for the specific groups that don't exist on the other one", I think he'd be happy, too:-)

- mho

EDIT: Just felt like it was time to excercise my mind reading skills:-)
mho
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/08

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:52 pm

Maybe you're projecting? I'm not getting that from what he said but, it does make sense that he was thinking it....
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mho » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:05 pm

Quade wrote:Maybe you're projecting? I'm not getting that from what he said but, it does make sense that he was thinking it....

Like I said - mad mind reading skillz:-)

- mho
mho
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/08

Postby Ribble » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:10 pm

"I think what he wants is a _per-group_ slave setting."

That's what I want, but didn't know how to ask it.

Say a.b.boneless is one of the groups. Bad enough to download headers from one server. Two servers is twice as long.

So even the groups that I use the most only get downloaded headers from only one of my servers. Incomplete headers remain incomplete even if other server has them.

Prior to Newsbin, I ran multiple copies of the newsreader with a common database, but different group lists. Maybe a "Load Configuration As..." with different configurations.
Ribble
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/04/09

Postby sandarian » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:55 am

mho wrote:
Quade wrote:It's not clear to me what you're really asking for though. You can pick which server to download headers from, one or both.

I think what he wants is a _per-group_ slave setting. If he usually does headers from one server, it's wasteful to do it from the other, just to get a group that the first server does not carry. If he can say "Don't get headers from this server except for the specific groups that don't exist on the other one", I think he'd be happy, too:-)

- mho

EDIT: Just felt like it was time to excercise my mind reading skills:-)

Yeah that was what I was trying to say so that you don't have to download all the headers for each group for each server that you use. In other words being able to use a server like a group header slave server and the other as the master server.
sandarian
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/08/09

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support