Stuttering issues

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Stuttering issues

Postby Sandman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Newsbin Pro 6.0b1 build 743

Downloading headers from these newsgroups

hdtv and hdtv.x264

Got the speed setting on low.

During online gaming, I get these random stuttering issues where it freezes the game up for sometimes 3-5 seconds. I know it is Newsbin because it only does it when Newsbin is running. I have a 18Mbps line. Newsbin is showing around 400MBs usage according to Task Manager and is utilizing around 20-40% CPU. Is it normal to use that amount of memory to download headers? Cache shows always 180/200.

Also Firefox and other apps stutter in opening up too. And when I do get Firefox open, if I type in something in Google or address bar, it stutters while I am typing for a few seconds after opening.

My machine:

Intel QX6700 Quad 2.66ghz
4GB RAM Corsair XMS2 6400
Windows 7 Pro 64bit (Fully Updated) Retail
Seagate 7200RPM Barracuda ST31000528AS

Every driver is up to date.
Sandman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/07/08

Re: Stuttering issues

Postby DThor » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:23 pm

Try decreasing the number of connections. There was another thread elsewhere started about this issue, which applied to v5 too. Might be a feature added to reduce connections along with bandwidth limiting(i.e. make it easier than having to dig through the server settings and remembering to put it back).

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:47 pm

Don't know if there's a solution. Inserting the data after a header download is pretty intensive. Even with the speed limiter enabled, the compression lets header download speed get pretty large.

Once the data is in and you're only updating headers periodically, it will be less of an issue. It's not CPU load, it's accessing the disk that's causing the stutter. As an experiment, you could use task manager to tie Newsbin to a specific CPU and see if it works better for you.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby SleepyOne » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:02 pm

What took 5-6 minutes in 5.59 now takes 50-60 minutes. Not a big fan of this new header system at all :(
SleepyOne
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/30/09

Postby Sandman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:26 am

Quade wrote:Don't know if there's a solution. Inserting the data after a header download is pretty intensive. Even with the speed limiter enabled, the compression lets header download speed get pretty large.

Once the data is in and you're only updating headers periodically, it will be less of an issue. It's not CPU load, it's accessing the disk that's causing the stutter. As an experiment, you could use task manager to tie Newsbin to a specific CPU and see if it works better for you.

The speed limiter cut my bandwidth in half so shouldn't that of cut Newsbin's disk i/o in half? I mean the disk drive I have is really good and I don't think the choke point is my disk. i never had this issue in v5. Lastly the stuttering never changed by cutting my bandwidth in half. It was consistent whether it was full throttle or half throttle.

My HDD Specs:

ST31000528AS Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB

Spin Speed (RPM) 7200 RPM
Average latency 4.16ms
Random read seek time <8.5ms
Random write seek time <9.5ms

Transfer Rate, Max Ext (MB/s) 600

Sustained Data Rate OD (MB/s) 125

Cache (MB) 32
Sandman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:55 am

The speed limiter cut my bandwidth in half so shouldn't that of cut Newsbin's disk i/o in half?

Astra and giga compress the header so, even if you throttle down to 10 Mbps, you can still easily get 100 Mbps header downloads from the compression. If you want to really throttle down header downloads you could disable "XFeatures".

I'm not trying to say your disks are bad, just that the processing is intensive. newsbin's trading slower inserts into the database for faster loading and searching. Maybe the balance is too heavy heavy on the insert side. Hard to say at this second. I am thinking about it though. It's packing away a shitload of data. I'm still looking for that sweet spot between performance and load.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Sandman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:36 pm

Hard to believe even at max bandwidth, downloading headers at 20+ megabytes per second, that it would cause such drastic hiccups on my system since my HDD can handle 120 Megabytes per second sustained, essentially using just a little over 10% of its capacity.

Another thing, I noticed in Task Manager Newsbin was using around 400MB. What is using this amount of memory?
Sandman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support