Database migration from W10 to a W11 machine

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Database migration from W10 to a W11 machine

Postby Heronjr » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:56 am

Hi,

I've just received a new machine with W11 64 and I'm starting the apps migration from the old W10, among them the Newsbin 6.90, which has a quite big database.

My questions are:

1. What is the most simple and quickly way to migrate the Newsbin database to the new machine?
2. In which order should I do things - Install Newsbin and migrate database or vice-versa?

Thanks for your attention

Heron
Heron Jr
Heronjr
n00b
n00b

Re: Database migration from W10 to a W11 machine

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:34 am

1 - I'd probably install vanilla Newsbin on the new machine first. The find out what the data folder is on the new machine. (options/settings/open data folder).

2 - Exit Newsbin on the new machine

3 - I'd then copy the data folder from the old machine to the data folder on the new one.

4 - You'll probably copy "Newsbin.nbi" over with the data folder. You'll need to edit this file with Wordpad or VS code and make sure all the paths match your new machine. For example, if your username was different on the old machine, you might find Newsbin can't write files to disk when it runs. So, you want to make sure it's pointing to folders your user on the new machine can write to.

5 - At the same time make sure the data folder listed in the NBI points to the data folder.

At that point you ought to be able to run Newsbin and load your groups like normal. If not, you need to revisit the steps. It's probably a problem with the NBI file.

Keep in mind, if you want to use our Search engine, you'll need to re-register on the new machine too. Put your key information in Newsbin and register it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Database migration from W10 to a W11 machine

Postby Heronjr » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:09 pm

Roger wilco. Be back to report results.

Thanks a lot.

Heron
Heron Jr
Heronjr
n00b