server colors in Current Progress field?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

server colors in Current Progress field?

Postby coyote2 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:08 pm

In Server Options I've set one server to green, and the other server to brown. (I've also, in testing, tried other colors.)

IIRC these server colors used to appear in the progress bar in the Current Progress field of the Downloading Files tab (which is the tab I use; for example the bar might look striped if the servers alternated); I cannot overstate how vital I found this (to occasionally monitor how much a fileset was depending upon my fill server's block account).

But the field is always a different color altogether (purple, my selected OS Accent color) instead of either green or brown.

How can I fix this, please?

Newsbin Pro 6.90Beta10b5368
Windows 10 Pro x64
coyote2
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/19/09

Re: server colors in Current Progress field?

Postby Quade » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:17 pm

It doesn't do per chunk color, per server, highlighting anymore. It worked pretty well back in the day but now really large single files with PARS are fairly common. Some with 35,000 posts. I decided it wasn't worth the performance hit of trying to track per server download chunks.

The amount downloaded per server is tracked in the servers tab in real time so, you can see which servers are being used.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby coyote2 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:50 pm

Quade wrote:It doesn't do per chunk color, per server, highlighting anymore. It worked pretty well back in the day but now really large single files with PARS are fairly common. Some with 35,000 posts. I decided it wasn't worth the performance hit of trying to track per server download chunks.

The amount downloaded per server is tracked in the servers tab in real time so, you can see which servers are being used.

Thank you very much Quade for explaining. I of course respect you and your decision. I understand nothing of your considerations and I know that you OTOH are fully informed.

Yes, the server tab does show the realtime total per server. But it's for all filesets in the session, and even if I only loaded one fileset at a time:

It was helpful to have the 'map', since one learns that some 'takedowns' are only a few missing stripes. But more vitally important to me, the colorful map was something I could 'monitor' while doing chores around my apartment: I could glance at the screen from time to time, and know from dozens of feet away, even in different rooms, from just a microsecond glance that the ominous backup server color called for my actual attention.

I was just telling the staff of an NZB site that I couldn't consider switching (as they were urging, to accommodate an issue with their site) from Newsbin to another client because I can't live without this functionality I now (ooops) understand had been discontinued.

It killed me to until recently spend 9 months off Newsbin on SAB because it has no such functionality, because the discontinued functionality is by far the feature I prize most in a usenet client. The way it is now, it would be far too inconvenient for me to live with, as I can't dedicate the time to sit and watch the total on the Server tab.

I think I need to:

1. Try to find this functionality in another client. Since I expect not to...

2. May I please ask what was the last Newsbin version with this functionality?

3. If neither of those is a viable option, I'm afraid it won't be practical for me to use block accounts anymore. (Which would be difficult for my poor budget.)
coyote2
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:53 pm

I don't know. At least 6.82. Maybe some of the early 6.90's too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby coyote2 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:28 am

Quade wrote:I don't know. At least 6.82. Maybe some of the early 6.90's too.

Thank you Quade.
Is there someplace I can d/l early 6.90's to try them?

I see I have 6.90b1 (but after than I was off Windows until recently).
coyote2
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support