What setting did I change to make NewsBin grind so much?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

What setting did I change to make NewsBin grind so much?

Postby Vocalpoint » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:00 pm

Make a few few minor changes to NB 6.81 5080 about 6-8 weeks ago and while I cannot remember specifics - what I do know is the program is now constantly grinding my hard disk doing something in the background for a good 20-30 mins each time I load the program.

What it looks like it's doing is pruning "Storage.db3" files for each newsgroup I have in the "spool_v6) folder - but I do not know what I turned on (or off) to start this annoying behavior.

I cannot seem to see any specific actions on a group level (when right clicking on a group and choosing Properties). Is it doing an Auto header purge or something?

Appreciate any info from the field.

Cheers

VP
Vocalpoint
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: What setting did I change to make NewsBin grind so much?

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:44 pm

If you look down at the "cache" line in the display, do you see a number in parens? If yes, that reports the blocks of headers being imported into the header database. If it's non-zero then Newsbin will be feeding data to spool_v6 as long as it's not zero.

Startup thrashing suggests the DownloadsV2.db3 file more than Spool_V6 files though. If your download list is empty, you might want to delete this file which will clear the download, wish and failed lists.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Vocalpoint » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:54 am

My "cache" line indicates 400/400 [8] and the download list is empty.

Newsbin has been grinding away here now for 5 minutes after startup and I have done nothing - it's just sitting there hitting the drive.

Will try to delete the DownloadsV2.db3 file and restart and report back. After this latest series of thrashing has settled down.

Cheers

VP
Vocalpoint
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:36 am

My "cache" line indicates 400/400 [8] and the download list is empty.

Some groups just don't work with headers anymore. In the options I'd select "Open Data Folder" then exit Newsbin. Then go into the "Import" folder and see the names of the files awaiting import. You might even want to delete them and consider deleting or disabling the group they belong to.

When I say "don't work for headers". It's because the posters stop posting files and only post posts with no file organization which can only be downloaded using NZB Foles.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support