Backup/Restore for Newbin settings/Groups

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Backup/Restore for Newbin settings/Groups

Postby Ronbyram » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:49 am

Hello,

Are there proper instructions to copy my Newsbin Parms etc from one Drive to a New one? Reason:

I worked to upgrade my main SSD Hard Drive that I have Newbin installed on. I cloned it but due to other factors was forced to wait about a 2 months for swap out, (which was good because windows became corrupt) AS a result my News Groups are out of Sync. Any proper steps to copy from Old to New?
Ronbyram
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/12/07

Re: Backup/Restore for Newbin settings/Groups

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:15 am

Well, inside Newsbin, on the options if you select "Open Data Folder" it should take you to the data folder. You should find the file "Newsbin.nbi". It contains the configuration. If you want to save the group state, you really want to move the entire data folder including the configuration to the new drive. Then edit the NBI to change the paths to reflect the new folder you copied the data folder too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Ronbyram » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:34 am

I think I found the resolve. From the system Bios I am able to boot up pointing to the older C: boot drive.
Once WIndows is started I was able to launch Newsbin. There I saved the newbin.nbi file using the File/Save Configuration File As and pointed to a alternate common drive.
Then I rebooted back into normal C: and then located the saved newsbin.nbi folder. which launched Newbin.
I now have the New Groups
Ronbyram
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/12/07

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:50 am

Nothing succeeds like success.

1 - In general you can edit the NBI to change any paths in the file.

2 - You can import a changed NBI into Newsbin by double-clicking it and allowing it to start Newsbin that way. Then when you exit and restart Newsbin it'll continue to use the new NBI.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support