6.82 New tab not appearing opening NZB from Windows Explorer

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

6.82 New tab not appearing opening NZB from Windows Explorer

Postby omega13lives » Sat May 30, 2020 8:36 pm

Ran out of space in the Subject. I just upgraded from 6.80 to 6.82 and when I double click an NZB in Windows Explorer, NB immediately starts downloading instead of opening a new, separate tab like it used to. Where is that setting? I'd like to have the option so I don't waste data if the poster leaves out RAR files before he/she creates PARs. Had it happen. Thanks.
omega13lives
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/03/03

Re: 6.82 New tab not appearing opening NZB from Windows Expl

Postby Quade » Sat May 30, 2020 9:33 pm

It's in the NZB options.

I have to say if you're downloading those obscured subject NZB's, they really only work right if you feed them directly to the download list. You're better off feeding them to download, then deleting then than try to prune them in the post listing. You can download however you wish, that's just what I've observed will give you the most reliable downloads.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby omega13lives » Sat May 30, 2020 10:11 pm

Thanks for the quick reply but perhaps I did not state this correctly. Before upgrading, when I clicked on any NZBs (from Explorer) that I had saved to my PC, I would get a new tab next to the Search and Groups tab in the middle of the screen. Then I double clicked the desired file, in case there was extra stuff, like Samples, and the download would start. Now, it immediately starts downloading without creating the Tab. What changed and can I put it back the way it was, if I want? I mean, where in the Options is this setting that changed? Thanks.

EDIT: I found the setting; it's Automatic download for loaded NZBs. Turned off.

EDIT 2: Now when I double click the entry in NB (under Subject), it does not show the name (under Download Description) like it used to, but when it unRars, it is correct. This is confusing.
omega13lives
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun May 31, 2020 8:40 pm

EDIT 2: Now when I double click the entry in NB (under Subject), it does not show the name (under Download Description) like it used to, but when it unRars, it is correct. This is confusing.

When you feed directly to the download list, Newsbin shows the NZB filename in the download list. When you load to a post list, the NZB files is consumed and not noted after that so, adding to the download list doesn't include the NZB Filename.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby omega13lives » Sun May 31, 2020 11:02 pm

Thanks again, but since I don't fully understand the reply, I must not have asked that last question correctly. I download an obfuscated named NZB to Windows and double click it to open NB (in a new tab now, like before). Then I double click the file to download it and with 6.80, most of the time it would show the un-obfuscated file name in the Download Descriptions of the Downloading Files tab at the bottom. Now, with 6.82, it only shows the obfuscated name. Is there any way for me to fix that? Did some Options setting get reset? I can't find it. Thanks.
omega13lives
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:03 pm

1 - You feed an obscured NZB to the download list directly, the default on 6.82. Newsbin displays the NZB Filename in the list along with unreadable junk contained inside the NZB.

2 - You feed an obscured NZB to the post list, the list on top, what shows up as some random lines (It depends on how it's been posted). When you then feed this to the download list to download, all you see is the same random data in the download list.

It's exactly what I was talking about in my initial reply. These obscured NZB's work best when fed to the download list directly. When you see something readable in the download list, what you're really seeing is the filename of the NZB file. The NZB file contents don't contain any human readable information.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support