Hard Drive Constantly Running

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Hard Drive Constantly Running

Postby Savage Dragon » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:19 am

I was using the most recent build of 6.81 and the hard drive my data folder is stored on was constantly running around 98% to 100% use even when I am not downloading any headers or files. I decided to install the latest beta to see if that would help but it's still the same. I reset the performance to defaults but the hard drive is still running. I am out of ideas at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Savage Dragon
n00b
n00b

Re: Hard Drive Constantly Running

Postby itimpi » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:13 pm

Are you sure that Newsbin is not processing previously downloaded headers? Nowadays internet links tend to be fast enough that headers can be downloaded much faster than Newsbin can process them into its databases. What do the numbers in the status line relating to cache show?
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Savage Dragon » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:18 pm

itimpi wrote:Are you sure that Newsbin is not processing previously downloaded headers? Nowadays internet links tend to be fast enough that headers can be downloaded much faster than Newsbin can process them into its databases. What do the numbers in the status line relating to cache show?

That must be it. The numbers say 400/400 (3869). The number in brackets has been going up which is odd since I haven't downloaded headers in a while.
Savage Dragon
n00b
n00b

Postby itimpi » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:33 pm

Savage Dragon wrote:That must be it. The numbers say 400/400 (3869). The number in brackets has been going up which is odd since I haven't downloaded headers in a while.

Strange that it should still be going up! The number in brackets is the number of files on disk containing headers waiting to be processed. If you are not downloading new headers I would expect it to be decreasing as the files steadily get processed.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Savage Dragon » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:36 pm

That's what I thought too. It has gone down by 6 since I last posted. Seems awfully slow though.
Savage Dragon
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:17 pm

You have a bazillion headers waiting to process. I'd not download headers again till it's done and/or clear the "Import" folder out in the data folder to purge most of them then try again. Depending on the version, that might be 500 megs or more of data to process.

Keep in mind some groups aren't "Header Friendly" anymore. Posts are posted with no file organization so it just clogs Newsbin up.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Savage Dragon » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:54 pm

Quade wrote:You have a bazillion headers waiting to process. I'd not download headers again till it's done and/or clear the "Import" folder out in the data folder to purge most of them then try again. Depending on the version, that might be 500 megs or more of data to process.

Keep in mind some groups aren't "Header Friendly" anymore. Posts are posted with no file organization so it just clogs Newsbin up.

Thanks. I deleted the import folder contents as I really don't need the headers anyways.
Savage Dragon
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support