Help moving newsbin and the database to a new computer.

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Help moving newsbin and the database to a new computer.

Postby Mark Allie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:28 pm

I want to change computers. I installed newsbin on the new computer. I specified a specific directory for my database info. I copied the newsbin data folder from the old computer to the specified location on the new computer. Evidently that is not all I have to do. The new system does not know what files I have already downloaded. Can someone please tell me what I forgot or did wrong? Thanks Mark Allie
Mark Allie
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Help moving newsbin and the database to a new computer.

Postby Quade » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:50 pm

Typically, you copy the entire data folder to the new machine, then edit the NBI in this new folder to reset the data folder location and any drive letters. At that point, I'd probably right click "Open With" this NBI and pick Newsbin to load this specific NBI.

On the old machine, I might "file/save as" to show you the location of the NBI file (then cancel). To make sure the NBI file you moved over is the one that Newsbin is using.

My guess is that the NBI it's loading on the new machine is out of the user tree instead of out of the folder you copied over.

Keep in mind any edits to the NBI will be lost if Newsbin is still running. You can only edit the NBI after Newsbin has exited.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Mark Allie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:15 pm

Quade newbin found my groups when I moved the database files over. I haven't done what you said yet. Does the groups being there from the other machine mean it is already using the correct nbi file?
Mark Allie
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Mark Allie » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:38 am

I did what you suggested up above and it worked just fine. Thanks
Mark Allie
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:21 pm

You're not even required to install Newsbin again. You could just copy the "Program Files" folder for Newsbin over too. The downside of this method though is that things like the NBI and NZB shortcuts don't get hooked up.

Glad it's working.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support