Older Posts Are Not Filtered Out on Header Download

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Older Posts Are Not Filtered Out on Header Download

Postby insolution » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:24 pm

I have my eBook newsgroups set to reject posts older than 30 days. Some posts still get through and *some* seem intractable and show up on every download. I have purged the stored posts, reset the group preferences for header download age and still some headers older than 30 days still get downloaded. Why?

My group settings screenshot:

And here is the most recent grouop download list showing these older files that were already deleted from the stored post list:

Scott
insolution
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/01/02

Re: Older Posts Are Not Filtered Out on Header Download

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:51 pm

I have purged the stored posts,

Don't do that to solve this. If you purge the stored groups Newsbin will lose track of the last downloads and can pull old posts. Old posts that download and fed to the post list in real time don't get filtered.

If you want to reduce how many headers Newsbin stores use the "Storage Age" setting. That "Display Age" setting only changes the display. It has no impact on the actual storage of headers.

Assuming you have some dead groups in your book list, say groups that haven't updated in 1100 day. If you then purge the groups and download headers, these 1100 day old headers will show up because Newsbin will always download some headers from a fresh group. Purging resets the group and makes it "Fresh" again.

So, I'd suggest never purge a group unless something is wrong with it. Manage the stored headers using the "Storage Age" setting instead.

The reason there's a "display age" and a "storage age" is you might want to keep 1000 days worth of headers but only see that last 30 days normally. Then you can tell Newsbin to load all 1000 days if you're searching for something old.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Older Posts Are Not Filtered Out on Header Download

Postby insolution » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.
insolution
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/01/02

Return to V6 Technical Support