Internet Search - Many Items Unfindable

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Internet Search - Many Items Unfindable

Postby Ocean » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:05 am

It's been a known issue that obfuscated posts by certain posters/indexers (more than one - at least going by identifier) have been difficult to deal with with respect to the Internet Search function.

The problem is that they are exclusively responsible for no small number of posts - with the net result being that Newsbin's Internet Search function is being significantly devalued, as it just plain doesn't work for these posts, which are significant in number.

Making specific requests through support is not sufficient. Part of this is due to the fact that many of these posts are recurring, and it gets cumbersome (not to mention frustrating) if people have to regularly submit manual repeat requests. And part of this is also due to just how many posts come under this umbrella.

I was wondering if there was any progress, or at least a plan of action to address these issues?
Ocean
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/21/04

Re: Internet Search - Many Items Unfindable

Postby itimpi » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:08 am

You might want to consider signing up with a NZB supplier for such posts (for instance I use NZB.su)? You can then use the Newsbin NZB autoload to get such items added to the Newsbin download list. If you can get a NZB file decently named for such posts then the latest releases of Newsbin can automatically rename the contents in line with the NZB filename as part of its autopar functionality.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Ocean » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:58 am

itimpi wrote:You might want to consider signing up with a NZB supplier for such posts (for instance I use NZB.su)? You can then use the Newsbin NZB autoload to get such items added to the Newsbin download list. If you can get a NZB file decently named for such posts then the latest releases of Newsbin can automatically rename the contents in line with the NZB filename as part of its autopar functionality.

It's not a bad idea, but that's also part of my point. If NewsBin doesn't fix this, there is no value in paying for the Internet Search subscription any more. No one is going to pay for a broken indexer, especially if they also have to pay for someone else's indexer.

If NewsBin's Internet Search is going to be a viable business product, it has to be capable of finding what's out there.
Ocean
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:43 am

We wrestle with this issue constantly. We have been able to handle some types of posts and people looking for certain content have been successful using our indexer. There are some posts that are simply impossible to reconstruct without obtaining an NZB file from the original poster. Regardless of our attempts, we have not been able to gain access to this "inner circle" so we are left with handling the types of posts we have figured out how to decipher programmatically.

Quade and I are working on some new methods that could find more content but some of it will still be impossible without some inside information.

I understand and share your frustration and we will continue our research to handle everything we can.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Ocean » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:05 pm

I appreciate your speaking on this, Dexter.

However, if I'm not mistaken, I believe I've seen many of the posts in question on multiple indexers - which means that it isn't necessarily limited to only the original poster. Perhaps that means there's a way to be found to do this reliably.

That being said, although it's an ugly workaround, is it feasible for your backend to index (or otherwise utilize) a third party indexer? Some of them offer API access, if I'm not mistaken.
Ocean
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support