Speed limiter too limited

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Speed limiter too limited

Postby RayMark » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:45 pm

I need to limit the download speed to 400-500-600 Mbps. But the limiter goes only as high as 200 Mbps.
I don't see any line in NewsBin.nbi to set the value (above 200 Mbps?) of the limiter manually.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Re: Speed limiter too limited

Postby Quade » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:05 pm

Yeah, you'll need to cut back your connections. The rate limiter simply doesn't go that high. Reducing connections will reduce both the speed and the strain on the network.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Speed limiter too limited

Postby RayMark » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:48 pm

So it is not a question of simply changing a number in your code?
I guess, I can try with fewer connections.

I have a relatively new problem. A few months old. After downloading a larger amount at high speed (but sometimes even after less than 100 GB) I get "No network access" which stays for a couple of hours. Then the internet is back again. My ISP says they are not doing it. It's as if the interface is overheating or something.
I swapped the interfaces - the same thing. The interfaces connected to other ISPs are working fine, but my plans with other ISPs are slower.
It is not a routing problem, I think. Because I tried to reset routes manually and everything seems to be fine there.
I also noticed that when downloading and moving files from the drive simultaneously - "no network access" does not occur. But the download is slowed down somewhat under such conditions, to about 500 Mpbs or less.
So it would be easy to experiment if I could just move that slider to different values.

Of course, I need to test on another computer or device when it happens to know for sure that the problem is limited to that PC as my ISP claims.
As the cable is connected to the PC directly without any router, I haven't come around doing it yet.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Return to V6 Technical Support