Files don't fail they just get stuck

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Files don't fail they just get stuck

Postby marina » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi, I have two problems --

Files don't seem to fail (nor move into the Failed Files tab). They just forever sit in Downloading Files. I see (usually) a 430 or 503 error (but most of them are 430 errors) in the Logging tab. Most of them seem to download most of the chunks or even all of the chunks, you will see the error in Logging - but they never move out of Downloading. You can't do anything with them. They just endlessly keep trying to download keeping everything else from downloading. Getting stuck.

Then what happens is if you try to delete them NOTHING happens. At all. They don't delete. To delete them you have to close Newsbin, reopen, then delete them.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
marina
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/13/10

Re: Files don't fail they just get stuck

Postby Quade » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:44 pm

What version are you using? If it's not the latest beta, I'd suggest trying it then get back to me.

Then what happens is if you try to delete them NOTHING happens. At all. They don't delete. To delete them you have to close Newsbin, reopen, then delete them.

Never seen this. Not sure how I can reproduce it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby marina » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:26 am

I am running version 6.80, build 5058. Is there a newer version out?
marina
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:46 pm

There's newer betas for sure. 6.81B4 is available for download. Dex and I were just talking about releasing it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby marina » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:01 am

Would this be available in the download section? Or could you provide a link? I am willing to try it.

I did notice one thing, if I pause newsbin pro, and wait for everything to stop. The files do delete. But if there's a lot in my queue that takes a long, long, long time.

That might help. It could be the files don't delete because their in use. Namely NBP is trying to endlessly download them (and failing). It should move them to the failed tab at this point, but never does.
marina
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:55 pm

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44643

Deletes require Newsbin to be able to do things on the disk. If the disk is tapped out, there might be a delay. There are so many different PC configurations, it's hard to give completely on target advice.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jimerb » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:15 pm

I have a very similar problem. I was on 681B1 and I just updated to 681B4. I'll see what happens.

If I go to the chunks folder and delete everything in there, things seem to run better for awhile.

I don't understand how I can have hundreds of thousands of files in the chunks folder when this condition occurs. It feels that there is so much in that folder that it takes forever to process it. Just deleting them takes me 10 minutes. (Of course i have really no idea what's going on behind the curtain.) Shouldn't there be some kind of check to see if there are too many chunks piling up and halt downloading?

I also like to reboot my nas. Not sure if it's helping but when i do those two things I usually get back on track for awhile.
jimerb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/04/06

Postby Quade » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:38 pm

I don't understand how I can have hundreds of thousands of files in the chunks folder when this condition occurs.

So the primary question is, why don't your chunks get deleted? If you watch a single file download, chunk one should be the only one remaining in that folder when the download completes and the final file appears on disk.

You can get stuck chunks a couple ways.

1 - The download path doesn't exist. Download goes to the data folder. The download folder on the other hand, if it exists it'll get used, if it doesn't the chunks will collect. If you have a situation where you use multiple download folder and only one is missing, it might appear to work for some files but some files won't get assembled and appear in the files list.

2 - You've set a long "data folder purge" time. By default the data folder purges anything more than 2 days old.

3 - Your download is much faster than the assembly drive. In that case the downloads will go to the chunks folder and then because of a slow download folder drive, the chunks will only slowly get deleted as the files get assembled.

B4 will completely stall Newsbin if the download folder doesn't exist. It's much more aggressive about stopping the download if the data, download or unrar folders run out of space.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jimerb » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:48 pm

Thanks Quade that is helpful to understand what's happening behind the scenes.

I think i can rule out 1. I always do a "Download to existing folder" so i can't exit that dialog without the folder existing.
My download drive is the same drive as the assembly drive -- Both on a NAS drive. I previously tried saving everything local on the pc and got the same results. However I do have 200mbps download speed.

When you say the "data folder purge" time is that the Storage Age field in the setup section of the settings? If so, I had mine set to 450. Could that be the problem?
jimerb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/04/06

Postby Quade » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:25 am

When you say the "data folder purge" time is that the Storage Age field in the setup section of the settings? If so, I had mine set to 450. Could that be the problem?

It's a hidden option. If you haven't added it to the NBI file by hand then it's probably not an issue.

My guess, because of the NAS is that your disks simply can't keep up with the download. My recommended install has the data and download folder on the local drive and the unrar folder on the NAS. At the very least I'd want the data folder on the local drive because writing chunks to disk is fairly intensive. If you notice that Newsbin shows the download as completed but the files aren't in the files list yet, it means you're falling behind.

The thing is, once the download list is empty, you really shouldn't have many chunks left in the chunks folder.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support