Crash deleting sub-items

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Crash deleting sub-items

Postby fodor » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:00 pm

Hello,

I'm seeing a consistent, reproducable crash when attempting to delete sub-items in 6.80RC7 Build 5054. If someone posts a file, then someone else replies without changing the subject line (typically with a "thanks for the post"), Newsbin will group the reply in with the original post. When I select the reply and then Shift-Delete to delete the reply that's not part of the post, Newsbin crashes and the item is not deleted.

For example:
Image link not allowed for unregistered users

The above image shows a 1.2 MB post by poster "T" and a reply by poster "S" that is less than 1 KB. If I attempt to delete the reply by "S" by selecting the row (the image shows the post selected in blue), press Shift-Delete and confirm the warning, Newsbin crashes every time. Nothing is deleted.

This happens any time I attempt to delete a grouped sub-item. If I select the parent item and Shift-Delete, the item is deleted and Newsbin does not crash. That works, but is typically not what I want to do.

(Why would I do this? I occasionally create NZBs for later download. I don't want the text reply not from the poster in the NZB.)

Thanks!
fodor
n00b
n00b

Re: Crash deleting sub-items

Postby fodor » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:02 pm

If you can't see the image in my original post, try this link:
https://ibb.co/bB7MKn
fodor
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:28 pm

I'll fix the crash, which I've never seen before but there is no mechanism for deleting sub-items. It should have done nothing.

Thanks for the report.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby fodor » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:07 pm

Quade wrote:I'll fix the crash, which I've never seen before but there is no mechanism for deleting sub-items. It should have done nothing.

You're going to fix it to do nothing? That's a fix, but it's not really useful. While you're there, you can't allow for deletion of sub-items? Having a parent item with only one sub-item seems like a valid thing to do, since the person doing the deletion knows that he/she deleted something to cause the one sub-item situation.
fodor
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:40 pm

You're going to fix it to do nothing?

It never deleted the sub-items and I wasn't really planning on adding that feature. Crashing is always a problem. On the other hand adding, a feature is always possible but it's too late for 6.80. Even if it appeared to delete the sub-item before, it didn't actually delete it. To delete, the record in the header DB would have to be re-written.

Fixes only till it's released. .
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby fodor » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:00 pm

Quade wrote:Even if it appeared to delete the sub-item before, it didn't actually delete it. To delete, the record in the header DB would have to be re-written.

As an end user, I don't care if it is actually deleted. If it still exists but isn't visible (in the UI or the exported NZB), that's functionally equivalent. How the program works under the covers to accomplish that is all hidden implementation detail.

I'd even take visible in the UI and not present in the exported NZB.
fodor
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support