Added server. Now: ERROR FileIOThread - internal crash

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Added server. Now: ERROR FileIOThread - internal crash

Postby Moondawgie » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:19 pm

Newsbin 6.80RC1 isn't importing headers downloaded from a new, additional nntp server.

Yesterday, after spending a couple of weeks looking for a replacement for Astraweb as my secondary nntp service, I decided on and subscribed to Eweka...

I changed my setup of Newsbin to add Eweka, with the server with

Server enabled; Checked
Server Address: sslreader.eweka.nl
Connections: 8
Priority: 2
Requires login: Login credentials
Use SSL Port: Enabled - Port 563
No Header Download: Not checked.

I then disabled Astraweb, changed the Download Age to 2 days, changed Post Storage to use the Download Download age, saved my settings, and restarted Newsbin.

After the restart, I initiated a "Download the latest group updates", which ran until all the download of all new headers were downloaded. All of those for my primary news server, (Priority 1) were imported. But, after waiting for 8 hours, none of those for Eweka, the new server, have been imported. The last six entries in the logging tab were '01/02 05:07:11] ERROR FileIOThread - internal crash.'

As there had been no activity for about 8 hours I restarted Newsbin. It wouldn't start/run without crashing.

I then moved all of the files in the Import folder to a different folder. Newsbin starts now, but there is a steady stream of the same error message in the Critical Error Messages.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how I might overcome this problem and run Newsbin with the addition of, and the importation of headers from Eweka.

I'm not posting this in the beta forum as I don't think the problem is due to something with the beta version of Newsbin. I feel that It's more likely something to do with my settings.

Thank you.
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Re: Added server. Now: ERROR FileIOThread - internal crash

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:55 pm

How about disabling "XFeatures" in the server advance options, restart Newsbin and trying again? This is actually the second report of something like this and Eweka was one of the servers in that report too.

Not saying it's Eweka but it is an interesting data point.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Moondawgie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:24 am

Quade wrote:How about disabling "XFeatures" in the server advance options, restart Newsbin and trying again? This is actually the second report of something like this and Eweka was one of the servers in that report too.

Not saying it's Eweka but it is an interesting data point.

Can/Should I continue with the existing header files, or delete them, 'reset' the Download Age again, and download headers again?

Thanks.
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:02 am

The fact your GZ files will crash Newsbin suggests that you'll need to move them all out of the import and try without XFeatures. It does make me wonder if Eweka is delivering corrupt headers.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby BZee » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:25 am

I just added Eweka yesterday and downloaded over 11 GB of headers. The server address I'm using is news.eweka.nl (ssl on port 563).
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/13/03

Postby alexon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:23 am

Eweka tech support wrote at page https://www.eweka.nl/myeweka/?p=support&i=faq&id=43
-------------------------
How do I use SSL?
If your account is active you can log on to Eweka's SSL server. First you will need to select the SSL function in your news client. Then you must enter sslreader.eweka.nl as the server and change the port to 563. As an alternative to port 563, Eweka also has port 443 available for SSL.
-------------------------

It's work for me.
alexon
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/25/12

Postby Quade » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 am

I just added Eweka yesterday and downloaded over 11 GB of headers. The server address I'm using is news.eweka.nl (ssl on port 563).

Yeah, the people with this error have a host of other errors too. People like me, see nothing wrong so, I'm pretty puzzled. "XFeatures" is header compression which is distinct from SSL. I believe the default these days is to disable XFeatures.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Moondawgie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:04 pm

Thank you Quade.

I discovered that there was indeed some corruption of the header files in Newsbin's Import folder. But I'm not certain as to the cause. There were a lot of files in that folder that were not Gzip (.gz) files. I opened the first six of those in Notepad++ and found nothing but gibberish.

I ended up wiping and reformatting the partition (Faster than defragging) I use for Newsbin's Data and restoring all of the data files from the backup I'd created before adding Eweka. I then changed the 'Download Age' to 4 (My last update of that database was 3 days ago) and the 'Use Download Age' in the 'Post Storage' settings for all of my subscribed newsgroups. I'm now in the midst of retrieving new headers for each subscribed newsgroup, one at a time.

So far, so good.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support