encrypted names of yEnc Headers

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

encrypted names of yEnc Headers

Postby sirkappio » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:36 am

Quade/Dexter,

Here is the problem I am having. I am using UsenetServer service as my choice based on your website suggestion. I am unclear as to why +80% of the posts in the lists are showing with garbage in the header names. It does not make any sense to me. I have been through the system with a fine comb on the settings, changing the TLS to disabled, thinking that this would help - it did not. I thought that the lists were that way because before a certain time it didn't work, but I am only getting the last 30 days worth of headers.

I thought this was due to something I did, so I attempted to clear the file listings, by killing all connections, then deleting the items from my lists. This also didn't help. Did I miss a setting somewhere by not using the debug for the exe? I am using 6.80b13. Also, I wasn't sure if this should be posted here since it is a beta version, but, there you have it.

I presume that this is because they are all set with yEnc. But what I remember, Newsbin has been able to decode this for a while, why do I see the header titles this way? Anyone? I apologize if this has already been answered. If you need a pic, I have one, but I cannot include it here.

Could this also be because some dummy is posting his backups to Usenet?

Sir Kappio
sirkappio
n00b
n00b

Re: encrypted names of yEnc Headers

Postby itimpi » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:11 pm

Your problem is that most posts in the media groups are now being posted with garbled names in the first place (presumably to avoid DCMA takedowns).

If you are using NZB files then the latest beta of Newsbin will try renaming such files to match the NZB name. If using headers then in many cases this cannot be done.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Return to V6 Technical Support