Problem with Open Download Folder

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Problem with Open Download Folder

Postby RangerXus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:39 pm

Quade,

On the groups tab when I right click on a group or custom list and select OPEN DOWNLOAD FOLDER, I get an error Windows Can't Find the File c:\folder\$(GROUP)\
I use your replaceable variable $(GROUP) in the global settings setup tab.
It appears you are not replacing the variable with the actual group name before telling Windows to open that folder.
Can you fix this so when using variable names in the global setup or when overridden on specific groups they are replaced with the proper value before opening the download folder?

Also any update/decision on restoring the downloading of duplicates on a DOWNLOAD BYPASS? In the wiki documentation it does state that Bypass will allow downloading duplicates. If you read my previous post from a week or so ago I updated it and added that the way it currently works is inconsistent and sometimes duplicates do load and sometimes they don't.

Thanks
RangerXus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/07/09

Re: Problem with Open Download Folder

Postby Quade » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:31 pm

Yes, I see that with the group. I'll check it out. It doesn't generate the folder either so maybe I should generate if not there and open at the same time.

As for the other thing. I'd probably be willing to add a hidden flag you can set to make this happen. The issue is that doing this generally would break resuming downloading of large files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby RangerXus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:03 pm

As you suggest that would be great in both cases.
1) replace $(GROUP) with the group name and if the folder doesn't exist create it so Windows opens to an empty folder showing no files exist.
2) add a hidden flag to enable again the ability to create duplicates with Download Bypass Filters. I can't remember the last time I did a resume download of a large file so that would have no impact on me... may impact others so a hidden option would not impact them.

Thanks
RangerXus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby BZee » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:02 am

Quade wrote:Yes, I see that with the group. I'll check it out. It doesn't generate the folder either so maybe I should generate if not there and open at the same time.

As for the other thing. I'd probably be willing to add a hidden flag you can set to make this happen. The issue is that doing this generally would break resuming downloading of large files.

I'll make good use of the hidden flag also. I seldom resume a large download but will keep it in mind.
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/13/03

Postby RangerXus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:34 am

Hi Quade,
Was wonder if these issues have been fixed in the v6.80 betas. One is a duplicate of another reply I made just a few minutes ago.

As you suggest that would be great in both cases.
1) replace $(GROUP) with the group name and if the folder doesn't exist create it so Windows opens to an empty folder showing no files exist.
2) add a hidden flag to enable again the ability to create duplicates with Download Bypass Filters. I can't remember the last time I did a resume download of a large file so that would have no impact on me... may impact others so a hidden option would not impact them. (This was also discussed in another Topic in this forum group).

Thanks
RangerXus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Code: Select all
[Filename]
BypassFileCheck=1

If you add this the the NBI in 6.80, it won't check for the existence of an existing file, whether you bypass filters or not. It'll simply ignore the existing file and continue the download (normal rename should apply). The duplicate detector will continue to function though.

I haven't done anything about opening non-existent download folders. It's probably not going to make 6.80 even if I eventually do it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby RangerXus » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:44 pm

Quade, want to thank you for addressing and implementing my requests

In version 6.80 RC5 the following now works:

- Under groups list tab right clicking on an entry and selecting open download folder now opens the folder in Explorer even when using the $group variable. Substitution is now working.
- By default if a jpg has already been downloaded to a folder and I tell Newsbin to download it again, the download does not occur (no duplicate) but the jpg appears in the thumbnail viewer.
- Using the new BypassFileCheck=1 option results in files being downloaded again with the duplicate naming format.

(I will post this on the other related thread as well for completeness when others browse these threads.)

Great! Thanks very much!
RangerXus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support