unRARing sometimes gets size wrong causing full disk prob

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

unRARing sometimes gets size wrong causing full disk prob

Postby farmwald » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Sometimes, auto unrar get the predicted size wrong. It's easy to see when it happens, as the progress indicator goes above 100%.
This should be a minor issue, but is the unrar destination is nearly full, partial/zero length files are written. Newsbin thinks the files are fine and proceeds to delete the tmp files. Normally Newsbin detects the disk overflow and pauses.
I can look deeper into when this happens, if you need additional information.
farmwald
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: unRARing sometimes gets size wrong causing full disk pro

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:24 pm

as the progress indicator goes above 100%.

This is just a cosmetic issue. It doesn't mean the size is bigger than predicted.

My first advice, as always, is to stop running out of disk space. The second is to set a higher threshold for Newsbin to start warning you with.

[Filename]
MinFreeSpace = N

N is in megs.

If you add this to the NBI file. You can tell Newsbin to stall when the disk gets mostly full. The default is 500 megs but apparently that's too close. I might set it to 2000 instead.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby farmwald » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:57 am

Thanks.
The directories being unpacked were over 100Gbytes, so I'd have to set it much, much larger.
I assumed you checked the size of the new download and pasued if there wasn't enough room - but I take it that's not how it works?
farmwald
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:15 am

The directories being unpacked were over 100Gbytes, so I'd have to set it much, much larger.
I assumed you checked the size of the new download and pasued if there wasn't enough room - but I take it that's not how it works?

You need at a minimum 3 times as much space as the download size in order to ensure that repair and unrar work properly so, if you're doing a 100g set, you need 300 G free before you start. 3 times is the outer limit. You probably can get away with 2 times most of the time. Figure you need space to land 100 g's on disk, then depending on repair state you might need another 50 g's then you need another 100g's for the unrar.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby farmwald » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:36 pm

I use different disks for the temp files and for the final results. My problem is only with the final results which occasionally accumulate.
Detecting that the actual size of new unRAR would overflow the dest would be the best solution for me, but I can live with setting the parameter as you mentioned for the largest unRAR I might ever do. It just means that sometimes Newsbin will pause unnecessarily, which is not a big deal.
farmwald
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support