Newsbin not downloading headers

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin not downloading headers

Postby aaitken » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:12 am

I have been using Newsbin for nearly a year now. For the last month or so, any new groups that I add I can't get Newsbin to download ANY headers. Even if the "Downloading Files" page shows that it is downloading the headers, they don't show up under the group tab on the main page when the download is finished. All of the groups I added earlier don't have this problem. Is there a maximum number of groups I can have in my groups list at any one time? Why will headers not d/l?
aaitken
n00b
n00b

Re: Newsbin not downloading headers

Postby Quade » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:51 pm

Do you see any errors in the logging tab?

There's no upper limit to the groups but I imagine there's some practical limit. It's pretty large though probably > 1000 groups. There's only 2000ish binary groups with real content. Hopefully you're not adding the entire 100,000 groups to the list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby aaitken » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:05 am

I have approximately 80 groups in my group list. The only related entry I see on the logging page is: ERROR NEWS SERVER ERROR: Error talking to Server in initial connection.
aaitken
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:54 am

I have approximately 80 groups in my group list. The only related entry I see on the logging page is: ERROR NEWS SERVER ERROR: Error talking to Server in initial connection.

In the server advanced options, try disabling "XFeatures" if it's enabled. Then restart Newsbin and try again. It's either a complete connection problem or you security software doesn't like XFeatures.

If Newsbin was working, you upgrade and it stops working, this typically means your security software is blocking it off the internet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support