An hour of crunching and nothing shows up... I want v4 back

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

An hour of crunching and nothing shows up... I want v4 back

Postby choxnpinz » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:08 am

Greetings! I was a huge supporter of v4.32. I loved how easy it was to use. I poll ONE group (alt.binaries.teevee) to download the shows I watch, and that's it. V4.32 polled the group, showed the new posts, and I was able to pick whatever shows looked interesting and download them.

Due to a computer hard drive format, I have been made aware that I cannot reinstall v4.32 anymore and was forced to install 6.72 build 4776 but I cannot make it work. I downloaded the new headers, and nothing displays in the post pane. I tried selecting VIEW ALL POSTS, and after an hour of chewing on it (watching the blue line creep across the screen) the post box came up empty. There are no filters selected, and I tried doing a word search for TEEVEE (which nearly every post has in the title) but that too came up empty. I'd empty the old posts to help speed things up, but since they won't load, I can't select and delete them. I have tried doing the load again with various filters, filenames only, 10mb and up, keyword, last 5 days only, and nothing comes up. Nothing.

BTW, I'm using a gaming computer with Win 10. It's an i7 processor with 16 GB RAM on a 1TB SSD OS hard drive. It boots in about 4 seconds and to see it sit chewing on data for an hour is unnerving.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong to make v6 work, or PLEASE allow us old timers to continue using v4.32. Thanks a bunch!!

choxnpinz
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/16/03

Re: An hour of crunching and nothing shows up... I want v4

Postby choxnpinz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:19 am

Does anybody have any advice? Should I uninstall it and reinstall it?
choxnpinz
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/16/03

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:25 am

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41268

This is your issue. Spammers have spammed some of the more popular groups which pollutes the header downloads.

You can run V4 if you want. I don't think SSL will work anymore but you can still download without SSL. I believe as long as you register a newer version, V4 will inherit that registration. My guess is V4 will have problems with this spam too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby dexter » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:11 pm

Quade wrote:I believe as long as you register a newer version, V4 will inherit that registration.

Actually that's Version 5. The Version 4 registration scheme is almost 20 years old and our last key server upgrade made it obsolete.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support