Newsbin hangs, nothing happens until a restart

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin hangs, nothing happens until a restart

Postby nbwul62 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:57 am

Further to my post 'Sometimes NB starts over downloading files' I often notice that Newsbin simply stops and nothing at all is happening.
Multiple files (different .nzb's) are in queue for download. Newsbin halts. 10-15 minutes.
To solve the issue I usually close Newsbin and restart it. NB will pick up where it left and continues. In most of the cases it finalizes the job(s).
In a worst case scenarion I might need to again close and relaunch.

In such cases files may be downloaded twice, so, for instance, I might be having 2x 2GB .mkv files.

In case of really large downloads (BDs), I discovered that it is best to download them one by one and relaunch NB in between.
Yesterday a (big) download halted, after relaunching NB the other half of the set was downloaded and the task was finalized properly.

I am writing this because, right now, NB hangs on completing a set, though all files seems to have been downloaded.
In the status it says:
[PAR:2847(141) OF 2847] D:219 DL:0 Retry:0 N:0

only the N: digit changes, so: N: 8, N:6, N3: N:0 -wait some 5 seconds, then again: N:9 N:7 N:4 N:0 etc.

Like this:

this time, relaunching did not help.
the 1st relaunch, NB downloaded another few files
could not complete
the 2nd relaunch - nothing was downloaded, but NB could not complete the job (see above error)
3rd - same as two

then I closed NB
double clicked the NZB and downloaded it again, bypassing filters.

same as the 1st time - could not complete.

I copied the whole set to a different folder and started the extraction process.

Here it comes: it appears the last file needed a password!
after providing it, the file could be extracted successfully...

Now
a) all the previous halts/restarts and finalizing the task upon restarts -> nothing to do with a password
b) the last download (just now and prompting me to write this post) -> password issue

as for item a) maybe it has something to do with buffers, I don't know
as for item b) it would be nice if there would be a kind of pop-up warning saying that a password is required
i wasn't aware of it and kept on trying and trying, assuming it had something to do with issue a)

NB 6.72 b 4776
Windows 10 x64

=
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/18/03

Re: Newsbin hangs, nothing happens until a restart

Postby Quade » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:43 am

i wasn't aware of it and kept on trying and trying, assuming it had something to do with issue

it probably mentioned it in the logging tab too. By default Newsbin will insta-fail a download where you don't have the password. I'm guessing you've disabled that feature. Or bypassed filters with this download.

Got an interesting email from a user this morning showing a picture of his download list. All the sets seemed to have downloaded everything they could but none of the PAR block counts were high enough to repair or download. He has less than 10% of the par blocks for most downloads.

I was thinking he'd either gotten far behind and Newsbin was assembling the files in the background or some other thing was preventing him from getting fill downloads. I suggested some things to check. Sounds similar to what you're reporting.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby nbwul62 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:17 am

Quade wrote:
i wasn't aware of it and kept on trying and trying, assuming it had something to do with issue

it probably mentioned it in the logging tab too. By default Newsbin will insta-fail a download where you don't have the password. I'm guessing you've disabled that feature. Or bypassed filters with this download.

Ehm... I usually don't go into settings to be honest. I don't remember when I last changed anything in there.
Could you pls guide me where to look for this feature, I mean under which item?

The idea I had was that once NB stumbles over a pw protected file then it should show a pop-up, so the user knows what is keeping NB from proceeding.

Quade wrote:
Got an interesting email from a user this morning showing a picture of his download list. All the sets seemed to have downloaded everything they could but none of the PAR block counts were high enough to repair or download. He has less than 10% of the par blocks for most downloads.

I was thinking he'd either gotten far behind and Newsbin was assembling the files in the background or some other thing was preventing him from getting fill downloads. I suggested some things to check. Sounds similar to what you're reporting.

Well, yesterday and today I went on to:
load the nzb (double click)
expand all (top window)
select all
then bypass filter
one way or the other that seems to work better.

but files/filesets to load one by one, i.e. after each file (each nzb) I close NB and relaunch it.

I just gave it another try as follows:
I had 5 .nzb files
loaded 1st, proceeded as above - then waited until NB has done the job completely (ie in the downloaded files window below, it was empty)
loaded 2nd, same as above
loaded 3rd, same as above, but now I did not wait until the end but added the 2 remaining nzb files to the 'nzb watch folder' so I could go on with something else.
After a little while the file list was filled, but nothing happened, not after 1 minute not after 5.
So, close NB relaunch it and downloaded started and files were processed accly.

I don't have the expertise to at least guess.. why things go this way.
That's up to you.

If you need any other information, please let me known.

=
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:43 pm

The idea I had was that once NB stumbles over a pw protected file then it should show a pop-up, so the user knows what is keeping NB from proceeding.

Popups aren't particularly effective in a bulk downloading situation. Typically the log tab tells you what's going on and you can review it after the fact too.

expand all (top window)
select all
then bypass filter
one way or the other that seems to work better.

- if you want Newsbin to track and repair the files, this is the wrong way to do it. The bold part in particular. You want the files to go to the download list in a compacted state. Then it can track how far it is into the download and it can more easily decide when repair is needed. It'll work if you just have naked rars in the download list but it won't work as well.

- If you bypass filters, you bypass the password checking and failing for not having the right password.

You'd be better off simply disabling the duplicate checker in the advanced options and not using "bypass filters".

I've added 120 gigs of files in one go and watched them download with no intervention on my part. So, I'm really unclear why you're having problems.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby nbwul62 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:32 am

Quade wrote:
I've added 120 gigs of files in one go and watched them download with no intervention on my part. So, I'm really unclear why you're having problems.

Wouldn't know either.
As said: simply double click the nzb, file is loaded, Newsbin starts, but after a while Newsbin stops.
10 minutes, 15 minutes, nothing.
Solution: close, relaunch.
This may cause files being downloaded twice and par files not being deleted, but okay, at least I have what I needed.
Now, as my download speed is 500Mbps+, it is no problem downloading the extra GB's but it may be a bit frustrating
for those with slower downloadspeeds.

Anyway, will keep an eye on it the next time.
(I mean the log file)

=
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:16 am

In the options, under performance, set it to pause download during unrar/repair. Then restart Newsbin and try some more. I think your connection is so fast that that the process of assembling the files falls behind. Honestly it almost acts like Newsbin can't save chunks to the data folder.

Honestly it might be time to re-install too to clean all the garbage out. If you do re-install, remember to enable "Pause Download".
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby nbwul62 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:22 am

I have downloaded a number other files just now
Download did -not- halt, all fine.
So, the issue did not occur this time.

Nonetheless I would like to provide some details which may be of interest, or maybe not :-)

1) the log file
2) the files unpacked into a folder named after the filename, rightfully so, that's fine
3) the .rar files weren't deleted though, which would normally be the case

attached screenshots for your ready reference.

1)

2)

3) probably just a screen refresh because I used the horizontal scrollbar

-
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby nbwul62 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:28 am

Quade wrote:In the options, under performance, set it to pause download during unrar/repair. Then restart Newsbin and try some more. I think your connection is so fast that that the process of assembling the files falls behind. Honestly it almost acts like Newsbin can't save chunks to the data folder.

Honestly it might be time to re-install too to clean all the garbage out. If you do re-install, remember to enable "Pause Download".

OK, done.
Let's see what happens.

FWIW, the data folder contains 486 files (179MB)
NB is installed on a SSD (Samsung 850 Pro)

If the issue continues, I'll do a fresh install, assuming/hoping it will then use the existing .ini

=
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:58 pm

1 - I notice you don't have aggressive assembly turned on.

2 - If all the PAR files are bad, which your logs seems to show, it can't repair and/or unrar or delete.

The question is why the PAR files are bad? Were the posted bad or did something happen to them during download.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby nbwul62 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:35 am

Changed that setting as well.
I have no idea how this par stuff works, so I (most probably wrongly) believed that it would be best to download -all- files, including all pars, even though it might not have been necessary to download excessive pars.
the i(again wrong) idea was that there would then be sufficient pars to repair properly, instead of so-called 'repaired' but causing a hang of a video, distortions, or so.

my set up: see http://imgur.com/a/7e8Tq

thanks
=
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:08 am

There's nothing wrong with downloading it all. The problem as you can see in the logs is that Newsbin wasn't able to parse out the PAR files. No PAR files = no file checking or repair. You also had it set to not unrar the files.

If sounds like it was just a bad set of files. The question is whether this bad PAR thing happens all the time or only every once in awhile.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby nbwul62 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:47 am

I am reviving this old thread, just to inform you that this 'Paused'-issue (NB pausing until restart), well, that happens regularly,
especially in cases of downloading multiple .nzb files.

Each time i have to exit and relaunch NB and NB will then continue, until the next 'Paused' (Paused in statusbar).
Exit, relaunch, exit relaunch.. Newsbin continues then.
Just did this for the 4th time now and probably need to continue to do so until everything arrived.

hmm...
just this very moment... whilst writing this thread ... so I was not aware of it...

I 'discovered' that by simply clicking [Pause] button in the toolbar, the download continues (no relaunch necessary)
Why NB jumps to paused in first instance and does not automatically return to normal mode, beats me.
All files are getting in alright - there are no errors.

Thought you should know.

p.s. maybe changing the 'performance'-settings will help?

Image = Image

nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:57 am

So you're saying that while the pause button and status bar don't act like it's paused (change colors) it's still paused?

I assume you're running 6.80 RC6?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby nbwul62 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:29 am

No, just that it is Paused (Paused in 'red' in the statusbar).

However, my point was that of instead of exiting and relaunching, which was my common 'solution' for this, I just discovered I could click on the Pause button in the toolbar to accomplish the same, i.e. it'll changes NB from Paused into active again.
Yes... I admit, it looks pretty much 'newbie'. :wink:
But that aside, it seems to be a bit strange why NB more or less at random stops, is changing to 'Paused'. After all, one might start a few big downloads and go away to do something else and come back to see that NB decided to pause and nothing has been happening all the time.
6.80RC2 build 5029

Could it be that it has something to do with the settings? (see screenshots)
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support